MJ's little flock

They really did. It's been almost like clockwork.

Anyway it's Saturday morning, so of course I'm on my seat in the Funrun :wee

View attachment 2875063

You might be able to make out Janet on nest deconstruction duty in the little coop.
Their run is looking good MJ. Does it stay reasonably dry when it rains, or does it turn into a mud bath?

Their run is looking good MJ. Does it stay reasonably dry when it rains, or does it turn into a mud bath?
It stays reasonably dry because the whole suburb is situated on what used to be an enormous sand bar. Sand is aqua phobic, so the water goes down to water table faster than it does through clay.

I remember MJ describing the soil as mostly sand (I remember because that is the opposite of my situation), in which case it probably drains really well.
Hehe that's the most embarrassing shra yet :gig

account.jpg

The two tables work well to create a dry patch too. Both tables seat six people and they're side by side, so they make a dry patch which is a generous size for four hens.

I genuinely did my best to consider all of the advice I was offered on byc and elsewhere and once it has proper fox proofing and a roosting box, it'll be the best chicken home I can provide.

I'm going to keep the big fox proof coop as a hospital and quarantine station.

The hens appear to be content and sometimes they choose to be in their run even if the gate is opened for them to go foraging, other times they forage for a while then go back in the run for a rest.

Last edited:
I genuinely did my best to consider all of the advice I was offered on byc and elsewhere and once it has proper fox proofing and a roosting box, it'll be the best chicken home I can provide.

The hens appear to be content and sometimes they choose to be in their run even if the gate is opened for them to go foraging, other times they forage for a while then go back in the run for a rest.
That is how mine behave. They go in and out of the Chicken Palace when I have the door to the yard open.

Back
Top Bottom