MJ's little flock

Well, you did ask and I say wait. Sitting hens and hatching hens and then watching chicks and mums is a full time occupation.
Oh interesting. I thought it would be full time for the hen but not the person. I assumed there were long stretches where the hen would want to be left alone and that would be when MJ could write. But as I have never experienced anything like it I will just shut up and let myself out.
:oops:

My thinking was that being reliably at home and on your own schedule would be rather good for looking after a broody. It will force you to take little breaks but allow you to finish the chapter.
I have toyed with the notion of setting up a work space in the run 🤔

But it would be far more special to give Mary and chicks my undivided attention.

I guess the chapter could use my undivided attention too.

Let's plot a timeline.

Mary is on day 2. So she'll be up again Dec 17th ish.

If she waits a month before sitting again, that puts her next sit at mid-late January. By which time the chapter will be off my list.

Chicks would hatch early-mid Feb.

That seems ok, doesn't it?

Of course, it's all hypothetical because... Well...chickens gotta do it their own way.

I have toyed with the notion of setting up a work space in the run 🤔

But it would be far more special to give Mary and chicks my undivided attention.

I guess the chapter could use my undivided attention too.

Let's plot a timeline.

Mary is on day 2. So she'll be up again Dec 17th ish.

If she waits a month before sitting again, that puts her next sit at mid-late January. By which time the chapter will be off my list.

Chicks would hatch early-mid Feb.

That seems ok, doesn't it?

Of course, it's all hypothetical because... Well...chickens gotta do it their own way.
Yup. That works. Unless Mary decides otherwise.
A workspace in the fun run sounds lovely.
I pretend to work at my seat in the chicken’s yard but mainly I take photos, nap, and talk to any chicken that is open to having a conversation.

Yup. That works. Unless Mary decides otherwise.
A workspace in the fun run sounds lovely.
I pretend to work at my seat in the chicken’s yard but mainly I take photos, nap, and talk to any chicken that is open to having a conversation.
I'm pretty sure I would do the same :lau chickens are more like a remedy for extended concentration than facilitators!

Now, here's a thought. Mary has only just got over peritonitis. Is it good for her to sit and brood at this time? Perhaps this really is a moment to break her? I've called Dr Mark to find out and will report back.
Ok, I heard back from Mark and he says it's normally ok to let her sit, but she's not allowed because we only just got her through her peritonitis. So she's going to have a precautionary break from her usual brooding routine.

Here's Ivy taking a bite of cottage cheese :)

IMG_2021-11-27-19-18-58-906~2.jpg

Ok, I heard back from Mark and he says it's normally ok to let her sit, but she's not allowed because we only just got her through her peritonitis. So she's going to have a precautionary break from her usual brooding routine.
I am glad you asked. That sure helps make the decision.

Back
Top Bottom