MJ's little flock

Have you considered just lowering the roosts?
We lowered them in april, I think. They used to be 1.80 high (6 feet).
I need to be able to access daily behind the main roost to clean, and to reach the secondary roost ; if we lower them more, it would make it difficult.
Otherwise that would definitely have been the best option 🙁. I never imagined a ramp would cause such problems.

Peggy was the first hen carried to the roosting box tonight and she stayed put instead of running back to the big coop! Ivy was number 2, no problem. Then Katie, and I tried to carry her without holding her wings down. Although she was very calm, she hopped down almost immediately and got back on the roost. Then I tried Edie who was no problem and there was no need to hold her wings down. Then Katie again, this time with her wings held down. No problem. Finally, it was Mary's turn. I didn't hold her wings down and she got almost all the way before deciding to hop down near the foot of the ramp. I then tried to gently catch her, but she wasn't interested. So I just made soft noises and kept out of her way. She jumped onto the ramp about a third of way up and walked on up to the roosting box! It was almost full dark by then, so I encouraged her towards the back where I knew there was an empty spot next to Peggy. She climbed up onto the roosting perch without any hassles.

So Mary takes the prize of being of the first hen to walk up the ramp!

Last edited:
It was my first question when my cousin told me they were incubating a clutch at her son's school, "Oh really? What will they do with the cockerels?" Don't know if my cousin passed that Q on to the school, but I hope so.
I'm sorry but i just pictured a 5 year old asking his teacher 'what will we do with the cockerels? Hoping his pronunciation skills are clear! Lol

I'm sorry but i just pictured a 5 year old asking his teacher 'what will we do with the cockerels? Hoping his pronunciation skills are clear! Lol
They've done animals and sexes recently. He was telling me about bulls and cows, stallions and mares. I'm sure they'd have covered hens/pullets and roosters/cockerels with a hatch planned. He was quite shocked when I said there were no roosters at my house. I had to explain myself!

Peggy was the first hen carried to the roosting box tonight and she stayed put instead of running back to the big coop! Ivy was number 2, no problem. Then Katie, and I tried to carry her without holding her wings down. Although she was very calm, she hopped down almost immediately and got back on the roost. Then I tried Edie who was no problem and there was no need to hold her wings down. Then Katie again, this time with her wings held down. No problem. Finally, it was Mary's turn. I didn't hold her wings down and she got almost all the way before deciding to hop down near the foot of the ramp. I then tried to gently catch her, but she wasn't interested. So I just made soft noises and kept out of her way. She jumped onto the ramp about a third of way up and walked on up to the roosting box! It was almost full dark by then, so I encouraged her towards the back where I knew there was an empty spot next to Peggy. She climbed up onto the roosting perch without any hassles.

So Mary takes the prize of being of the first hen to walk up the ramp!
Way to go Mary! :clap :clap :clap

I am happy to say that now the nectarines are done, the peaches are getting big.
Now it is a race between me, the raccoons, the deer, and the groundhog (who contrary to his name is perfectly willing to climb the tree to get his supper).
Fortunately it is a bumper crop year and there seems to be enough for all of us and plenty left over for the chickens, the wasps and the ants.
Once the raccoons really kick into gear however it is game over for the rest of us unless I sit out all night with a flashlight.
366A7DBD-99B1-4EC7-B2CC-AA4B49D61D88.jpeg

I am happy to say that now the nectarines are done, the peaches are getting big.
Now it is a race between me, the raccoons, the deer, and the groundhog (who contrary to his name is perfectly willing to climb the tree to get his supper).
Fortunately it is a bumper crop year and there seems to be enough for all of us and plenty left over for the chickens, the wasps and the ants.
Once the raccoons really kick into gear however it is game over for the rest of us unless I sit out all night with a flashlight.
View attachment 3621799
Yum! :drool

Way to go Mary! :clap :clap :clap
She's a wonder! And I was so worried about her, what a numpty I was :lau

This morning my "go" time is 30 minutes earlier than usual, so I was up early enough to put the ramp all the way down and watch the hens come down from the roosting box.

Ivy stood at the top, thinking about it then turning to snack, then thinking about it, then turning to snack again. While Ivy did that, Katie got herself all worked up and flew down. Edie followed Katie's lead and also flew.

Peggy came down from the perch and joined Ivy for snacks.

At last, Ivy walked almost all the way down the ramp, stopping halfway to flap. She hopped off near the bottom.

Peggy did the same.

All this time, Mary was having a lie-in. But as Peggy walked away from the ramp, Mary stepped off the perch and made her stately way down the ramp to the very bottom, and stepped daintily ashore.

The non-slip under the ramp battens is providing lots of traction and building their confidence. I recommend it.

View attachment 3621799
Gorgeous!

What's your favourite way to eat peaches? Then and there, or do you prefer some cream? Or a pie?

Gorgeous!

What's your favourite way to eat peaches? Then and there, or do you prefer some cream? Or a pie?
In a year like this year I get to the stage where I cannot look at another peach.
Still too early in the harvest for that - but even today I had three for breakfast and another two for lunch.
And one fell on my head while I was chatting to the chickens so we shared that.
I give a load away and then I start freezing, making crumble which I also freeze.
One year I made chutney which was pretty good.
I should try pie - but I am too busy picking peaches!
The apples are nearly ready too so I am busy.

Back
Top Bottom