MJ's little flock

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but in what way are they better than simply freezing a bottle or other container full of water?
Same function really. It’s just that ice bricks are readily available in Australia whereas they mightn’t be in the US. They also tend to be flat rather than round, which might have some benefit. :confused:

Same function really. It’s just that ice bricks are readily available in Australia whereas they mightn’t be in the US. They also tend to be flat rather than round, which might have some benefit. :confused:
They stay frozen longer too. Or so my nana said.

Also, they don't waste water. I guess that's handy in a esky when you don't want your food and drinks swimming in a puddle after a few hours.

Last edited:

Also, they don't waste water. I guess that's handy in a esky when you don't want your food and drinks swimming in a puddle after a few hours.
I think they might be filled with salt-water, I think that’s why they might stay frozen for longer.

The water stays in the bottle. Then when melted goes back in the freezer. So I don’t think it wastes water. The shape is better certainly.
Maybe they contain a chemical refrigerant so they stay frozen for longer.

The water stays in the bottle. Then when melted goes back in the freezer. So I don’t think it wastes water. The shape is better certainly.
I was thinking of loose ice in an esky, which is something many people do. But you end up with a puddle in the bottom, which is no bad thing in terms of keeping things cool, but it is a bit soggy.

In some parts of Australia water is kind of scarce and someone might prefer to use esky blocks for keeping hens cool instead of drinking water.

Yesterday's forecast was for a high of 33, but it reached 37.6. That's how unusual the weather is. More than a century of data produces forecasts that are off by almost 4 degrees.

But the hens took it in their stride, with a lot of sitting down under their favourite shady tree and a cool snack around 4pm.

Today's forecast is also for 33 so it'll be another day to let the hens wander where they will.

Both cats visited last night and the last of the scaffolding was taken away five minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom