Modern Bantams anyone?

I let my birds free range day before yesterday and something got my Modern rooster! All the other chickens were fine. He just disappeared - no feathers or any other sign. So, I guess it must have been a hawk. I'm having really rotten luck with these little roosters. They must be real easy to see with their bright orange hackles and wing bows. The little hens are almost impossible to see in the woods if they keep still.

I'm just glad that I was able to hatch some chicks this year. I have two little roos and four pullets in one brooder and 3 day old chicks in another.

that sucks
sad.png
. I was letting mine out every day, then I noticed a hawk sittin in a nearby tree checkin them out, now I dont let them out more than once or twice a week for half an hour at a time, and just when i am out there.

Quote:
That sucks.
sad.png
That is why I won't free range my Moderns their not the smartest birds and with cats and hawks and what ever else kills birds no way are they going to free range.

ya, I have gotten real attached to my modern bantams, they are very small, the hens weigh average of 12 ounces....the heaviest cock weighs 19 ounces...wouldnt take much of a hawk to fly off with them, so I only turn them out when I am gonna be out there, and if they start getting out into the open, I put them back up...all I have to do is shake the bucket that holds the scratch, and they come at full speed, and I toss a little in their pen and they follow it in...has worked for weeks now
smile.png

I had to post a pic of my little Modern game bantam. My daughters have named her RoadRunner since she is the fastest and slimest little chicken in the coop! I just call her mini chicken, she is the sweetest little thing, she loves being held and have her belly scratched! She'll run up to me start clucking till I pick her up and pet her
roll.png

Here is my little Modern with my Faverolles hen (clearest pic I had of her, she is really fast!)
78308_dscn1803.jpg

I would LOVE to update everyone!!

We had a GREAT time at the show and our babies did AMAZING!! Show Results to follow.

We also added a few New moderns to our family.
We recieved a Lemon Blue Rooster
His 2 Silver Blue Hens
1 Splash Hen.

So now our numbers are:

A Birchen Pair

Brown Red Trio

A Splash Lemon Blue Rooster over 2 Silver Blue Hens, and Splash Hen.

ALL Show quality and made the Judges FALL Head over Heels!!
big_smile.png
We are VERY proud of our gang!!
Plus our Splash Lemon Blue Rooster and his Splash hen Blessed us with a Beautiful Splash baby!!

Our Show results:

At the poultry show we Did EXTREMELY well! We had Many birds entered and all did VERY WELL.

White Bearded Silkie Hen (Finne')- 1st, Best of Variety, Best of Breed, and Best Feather Leg!! (Second Show EVER)

her Son, and my 1st Bred-By, White Bearded Silkie Cockeral (Bubbles)- 1st (his very first show and still real young)

Silver duckwing American Game Hen (Holly)- 2nd, Resv. Breed

Birchen Modern Game Bantam Hen (Silow)- 1st, Best of Variety (1st show)

Brown Red Modern Game Bantam Hen (Kylow)- 1st, Best of Variety, BEST MODERN!!

Her mate, Brown Red Modern Game Bantam Rooster (Milow)- 1st, Resv. Variety, Resv. Modern!!

Lemon Splash & Silver Blue Modern Game Bantam Trio went Best Modern in the Junior shows
Splash Modern Game Bantam Hen went 1st and BV.

Plus Fergie (Bubbles sister and my Bred By) went 1st. Best of Variety and Best of breed in the youth show.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom