Modern Game Bantams in mixed flock

ArcticBark

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
I’m looking for general info on Modern Game Bantam temperament.

I have two ladies in my flock and a batch in the incubator. I absolutely adore the 2 I have; they’re comical, chatty and extremely friendly—but also feisty. They’d regularly chase away my standard Brahma rooster whenever he got too pushy.

There’s very little info on the breed, and much of it contradictory. They’re meant to lay 1 egg per week (mine lay 5, regularly 2 in one sitting; not good foragers (mine scratch in the shrubs all day long); skittish (lol nope), etc etc. So now I’m wondering if I just got lucky with mine...

Also, I’m hoping to incorporate any cockerels I get into my existing flock with a rooster. Anyone done that with succes? Again, there’s a lot of conflicting info, some claiming that they’re very aggressive.

I’d appreciate any experiences anyone could share :)

Within all breeds there may be variations in temperament . It all depends upon the selection standards set by the breeder. When introducing roosters to an established flock with a flockmaster rooster there are generally problems. Cockerels grown up in the flock have a better chance of being accepted.

Within all breeds there may be variations in temperament . It all depends upon the selection standards set by the breeder. When introducing roosters to an established flock with a flockmaster rooster there are generally problems. Cockerels grown up in the flo

Thanks! So nothing breed-specific? I know chickens are chickens, but these wee bantams seem so different to the rest in terms of behaviour. Must be the line, then. There’s regrettably little info on them.

Back
Top Bottom