Modern game bantams...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IggiMom, May 25, 2010.

1. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    I have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a Genesis incubator and I have had great hatches out of it until now. I set 5 eggs I got from my modern bantams in it. Out of the 5, one was infertile, one pipped at small end of egg and died, 2 pipped and died, one never pipped and died in shell, only 1 hatched and lived. Has anyone else had this problem with hatching moderns? I have 4 more eggs set to hatch on the 29th this month. I hope I have better luck with them. If someone has any advise I would be appreciate it. I really love my moderns and I want to raise a lot of them.
    Answers Please!
    Mark

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I only let the mothers hatch the eggs. They are fierce mothers and very good at it. What a bummer on the hatch. I have bought eggs before and had none hatch (not moderns). I have a hoova bator with fan and turner and usually get high hatch rate. What is the humidity at? It may be because of the time of year also. I have heard things about fall hatches not being as good as spring hatches(just a shot in the dark) :/

I have a question: I went to a show here a couple of weeks ago and noticed that many of the modern bantam roos had their spurs down to nothing. Does anyone do this? How is it done? Why is it done? (I think I know why)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

Are these bbreds? I heard you can sex them by the mascara. The females have more defined mascara? Is this true?

You all have some pretty modern games. I am sorry to hear about your losses too. It is always so sad to have predators come up and ruin things. And so frustrating too.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my crew. I bought a pair of bbreds>they seem kinda skinny but they are young. The pullet isn't much but the cockerel is kinda pretty.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They're not BB Reds, they're Brown Reds.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    The pictures I posted are my brown reds I have had for three years. I bought a pair of bbreds a few weeks ago. I still need to take pictures of them. I see that was kinda confusing the way I wrote that. sorry

[​IMG]

Mister is three. They love their picture taken. They see the camera and chase me around the yard and when I turn towards them they then pose. :p

I can't even take a picture of the flowers without somebody getting in the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her best prize was Champion Game Bantam. She was 5. She got taken by a predator. (human) 2 months ago, I really miss her.

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I have heard that and used it with Old English Games. The chicks in this pic, however, did not all turn out to be pullets, so I guess it doesn't work with the BB Red Moderns.

9. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    My second attempt to hatch modern eggs in a incubator also failed. I put some of my Dark Cornish x Showgirl eggs in with them to see if they would hatch. All of the Dark Cornish x Showgirl eggs
    hatched, not one of the modern eggs hatched. The modern chicks all died in the shell without pipping. [​IMG]Can someone please give me some pointers as to what your settings were with your incubator that hatched the eggs for you. Mine is set at 100* the humidity was at 57% at hatching. I have 6 more set to hatch 11/09, I hope some of them hatch.[​IMG]
    Can someone help please!
    Mark

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm not sure if i can help, but I'll try. Some questions: Are the birds closely related?
    I had the same problem this Spring with a pair of Rock bantams. The eggs just wouldn't hatch. Other eggs in the same batch did so I assumed something was wrong genetically.

Is your bator still air or forced? Are u using a turner? With a still air, the temps vary. When u take eggs off turner and place them lower, the temp change can get them. (I've heard.)

Humidity could be too high. How big are the air cells?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by