Modern game bantams...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IggiMom, May 25, 2010.

1. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    My incubator is the new digital forced air Genesis. I have hatched out 4 hatches of eggs with a 95% hatch rate before attempting to hatch modern bantam eggs. As for the birds related,I don't know, I got them from Ideal Hatchery. I turn my eggs myself. The air cells was the same size of the cornish eggs that hatched. The only thing I can think of is they require a different humidity to hatch out. I have 6 more to set to hatch out on 11/09. I hope some of them hatch.
    Mark

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

Yup I am thinking the humidity could be too high. Also if you have a turner shut the turner off but do not take the eggs out of the turner on day 18. If no turner you can put eggs in an egg carton with the bottoms cut out for air and turn that 3 x a day. Let them hatch in there too.Eggs hatch better when upright. But if they have been on their sides I do not know if I would change them now.

Another thought is maybe you could up the protein in your breeders. I suppose there is a goood link on this somewhere. I can try to look it up sometime today.

Are they getting good light? Have you calibrated your thermometer/hygrometer?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. mcrooke45

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    I just dissected the eggs. The embryos were fully formed and the air cells were the right size. One had breached into the air cell but died. I don't have a turner for my incubator. I have always turned them myself at least 3 to 4 times a day. I have always had great hatches until I tried to hatch modern eggs. My thermometer and hygrometer are digital on my incubator. All the chicks seem to make it until right at time of hatching. I have always kept the humidity between 30 to 35% until time for hatching, then I raised it to 50 plus like was recommended from the instructions that came with incubator. I am not going to raise humidity next time and see what happens. The temperature inside is set to 100*
    Mark

4. zackpasquet

zackpasquet New Egg

Nov 5, 2012
    im looking for mgb in texas or dfw area i like the bbr if anyone knows wher i can buy some

5. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    I'm replying on this thread so I can keep up with it.. plan on adding Modern Games to my flock next Spring. (Don't want to start out raising them in winter in South Dakota, probably!)

Love your camera hogs, Kris!

6. mcrooke45

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    I lowered the humidity in my incubator with this hatch..So far I have had 5 out of six hatch. I will wate and see on the last egg. Looks like they need a lower humidity to hatch. My hens have not layed any more eggs so looks like I wont get a chance till spring to try again.
    Mark

7. mcrooke45

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    Well I checked the last egg. It was infertile. So I had 6 out of seven eggs hatch. [​IMG]5 modern bantams and one dark cornish x showgirl. It was a necked neck! I am very happy with this hatch compared to the others. [​IMG] Out of the 5 moderns I had one black, two blue, and two splash.
    Mark

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

:lol:

Nancy I just about didn't recognize you with your new avatar! Very nice :love That's funny I was just thinking of posting in the calico cochin thread so it would turn blue for me. ;) You'll love moderns. They are big on personality.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

[​IMG]

I am so happy for you Mark!!!

~Kris~

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

:welcome

I think there is a person in that area. They are on the internet and I think it is called ittybittyranch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by