Modern game bantams...

Pics

This is the new pair I got in October. The seem skinny compared to my brown reds, but they have nice personalities.

Yup just changed my avatar today :)

Your new birds are lovely

This was one of the breeds my husband really liked at the poultry barn at our state fair this year. Modern Games have always been on my "wish list".. but now that he likes them too I'm really getting excited about them!

Last edited:
Well I checked the last egg. It was infertile. So I had 6 out of seven eggs hatch.
ya.gif
5 modern bantams and one dark cornish x showgirl. It was a necked neck! I am very happy with this hatch compared to the others.
jumpy.gif
Out of the 5 moderns I had one black, two blue, and two splash.
Mark
Yay, great to hear!

One of my little modern chicks has developed a leg problem. It is not like straddled leg. Its leg just goes straight behind it. I think it may be out of socket. I tried the bandaid treatment and it is not working. It will not try to keep its leg up under it and it always goes straight out behind it. I taped both legs together and that has not work either. Any suggestions?
Mark

One of my little modern chicks has developed a leg problem. It is not like straddled leg. Its leg just goes straight behind it. I think it may be out of socket. I tried the bandaid treatment and it is not working. It will not try to keep its leg up under it and it always goes straight out behind it. I taped both legs together and that has not work either. Any suggestions?
Mark
The little chick did not make it.
hit.gif
I dubbed my blue cockerel today and learned a lessen. I did not have anybody to help hold him so I tried to do it by myself. I got down to the last waddle and he jumped out of my lap and took off across the yard. You should have seen me trying to chase down a road runner chicken with a net. Luckily, he must of got some blood in his eye and he ran into the trunk of a tree and I managed to get a net over him. It was one of those Funniest Home Video moments.
lau.gif

I got my exercise for the day.
Mark

The little chick did not make it.
hit.gif
I dubbed my blue cockerel today and learned a lessen. I did not have anybody to help hold him so I tried to do it by myself. I got down to the last waddle and he jumped out of my lap and took off across the yard. You should have seen me trying to chase down a road runner chicken with a net. Luckily, he must of got some blood in his eye and he ran into the trunk of a tree and I managed to get a net over him. It was one of those Funniest Home Video moments.
lau.gif

I got my exercise for the day.
Mark

First of all ducks waddle, chickens have wattles under their lower beak.
Like many things dubbing w/o help has a technique all it's own. Wrap the bird in a damp towel & he can't get away. Dampening the towel makes it hold together-more friction. Lay the bird on it's side, do the comb then the lobe & wattle on the up side, turn the bird over & do the other side. I actually find it easier to do them this way than to have someone hold them.

I think I have it down pat on hatching modern eggs now. Since I lowered the humidity in the incubator I have hatched almost everyone I put in it. I am 7 for 7 now
celebrate.gif
I had the last two hatch today. They have stopped laying now so I will have to wait till spring before hatching any more. I lost one from the earlier hatch. From that hatch I have a black cockerel, a splash cockerel, a blue pullet, and a pullet that is almost a lavender color. The ones that hatched today was one light blue and one dark blue, possibly going to be black.
Mark

I think I have it down pat on hatching modern eggs now. Since I lowered the humidity in the incubator I have hatched almost everyone I put in it. I am 7 for 7 now
celebrate.gif
I had the last two hatch today. They have stopped laying now so I will have to wait till spring before hatching any more. I lost one from the earlier hatch. From that hatch I have a black cockerel, a splash cockerel, a blue pullet, and a pullet that is almost a lavender color. The ones that hatched today was one light blue and one dark blue, possibly going to be black.
Mark
What was your humidity reading?

Back
Top Bottom