Modern Game Bantams

Quote:
Well, lavender, or self blue, has already been done. There are some genetic anomolies that go hand in hand with self blue, especially in hard feathered birds, like moderns, that make them extremely difficult to work with and produce quality. Ideal hatchery has self blue moderns, but they are BIG....

Quote:
The silver blues are just gorgeous. I'm trying to decide if I just want to work with blacks or if I want to pick up another color or two... then again since I can only find them at Ideal, I should probably stick with something basic like black. And order 50 in the hopes of getting three or four that I can work with...

Why can you only get them at Ideal? I know of several breeders of good quality moderns that ship, and/or attend shows with birds for sale occasionally. Shipping is not a big deal...if you order 50 black moderns, day old chicks, you will spend $150. For $150, you could get a NICE trio/quad of show quality breeder birds shipped to you. Contact Blackred on here, he has real nice moderns, out of TX, and I bet he would set you up well with a good trio. He also has silver blues
smile.png
. I would highly recommend going with an adult trio from a good breeder, versus the crap shoot of buying hatchery stock. We had some black moderns a while back from Ideal, and 3/4 of them had white toes, and a few other color defects. If you want to go the show route, spend the little extra and get good quality adult birds. Just my .02....

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, lavender, or self blue, has already been done. There are some genetic anomolies that go hand in hand with self blue, especially in hard feathered birds, like moderns, that make them extremely difficult to work with and produce quality. Ideal hatchery has self blue moderns, but they are BIG....

There is none in canada yet
wink.png
it cost way to much to import any good stock here...

Quote:

wink.png

Ahh, I see....to bad...but still, there are several issues with the self blue that pretty much make them impossible to much with in respect to showing.

Quote:
wink.png

Ahh, I see....to bad...but still, there are several issues with the self blue that pretty much make them impossible to much with in respect to showing.

CRAP!!! that is not what i wanted to hear...oh well

Got game this message is addressed to you or anyone with addiquate knowledge but how big do you think moderns could be bred? like im talking of devoting years to this project but do you think i could breed birds pure and have a weight of almost 10 pounds? I just thought that i would ask.
Aiden

Quote:
The silver blues are just gorgeous. I'm trying to decide if I just want to work with blacks or if I want to pick up another color or two... then again since I can only find them at Ideal, I should probably stick with something basic like black. And order 50 in the hopes of getting three or four that I can work with...

Why can you only get them at Ideal? I know of several breeders of good quality moderns that ship, and/or attend shows with birds for sale occasionally. Shipping is not a big deal...if you order 50 black moderns, day old chicks, you will spend $150. For $150, you could get a NICE trio/quad of show quality breeder birds shipped to you. Contact Blackred on here, he has real nice moderns, out of TX, and I bet he would set you up well with a good trio. He also has silver blues
smile.png
. I would highly recommend going with an adult trio from a good breeder, versus the crap shoot of buying hatchery stock. We had some black moderns a while back from Ideal, and 3/4 of them had white toes, and a few other color defects. If you want to go the show route, spend the little extra and get good quality adult birds. Just my .02....

I've been having a heck of a time finding anyone who breeds MGBs - I would MUCH rather go with birds from a breeder than from a hatchery! Thanks for recommending someone! :) Starting with good stock saves SO much work.

Quote:
Probably by crossing in Malays or Shamos but they'd no longer meet thew breed standard for Moderns so why would you want to?

Back
Top Bottom