Moldy Bread as treat for chickens?

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
In Buff Hooligans' "Treats Chart", she lists stale bread as an acceptable treat for chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

I have some good bread that got moldy (OK, call it "mouldy" if you're so inclined). It's not real bad, so I think it's OK to feed as an extra treat to the chickens.

Is this a line that some of you will not cross? Just curious....

I have given my girls bread with a few spots of green on, but I wouldn't if it had gone too far. I was told that anything that is acceptable for you to eat is acceptable for chickens (but I don't think a bit of mould would hurt, my girls eat polystyrene!).

I have heard that mold can kill chickens....Don't know how true.....I won't give my chickens anything I would not eat. I have also heard that Bread is bad for chickens too.....Don't know how true that is either. I'm not much help am I ?

I have heard/read from several sources that mold, even a small amount, can be deadly to chickens. I don't know for sure myself, but feel it's better to be safe than sorry. Thus I don't give my birds anything moldy. I also read that bread is not a good food choice if given a lot all the time simply because it does not have enough nutrients the birds needs, but as a trat now and then I can't imagine it would hurt. I give bread scraps to my chickens. One last note...I also read that dry bread can get stuck up in a chickens crop because it swells when it gets wet causing it to get larger after the bird already filled it's crop to capacity.....again, not sure if this is true or not, but read that it can be a good idea to moisten the bread before feeding it to them so that it has already swelled and they eat the right amount. I'm sure, though, that throwing bread scraps to the chickens will not hurt them.

Quote:
Penicillin is derived from ONE type of mold (I believe it generally grows on fruit). Many molds are toxic.

Back
Top Bottom