Molt or Something Worse?

FluffyButtNut

In the Brooder
May 9, 2023
Oxford, AL
Morning chicken forum family, I am hoping y’all can weigh in on what my sassy RIR hen may be experiencing. I’m very new to chicken keeping and have not yet gone through a molt with any of my birds. Penny, my feisty little red hen, has recently started looking so haggard (see pics below). The past few mornings the inside of the coop looks like she got into a fight with herself…red feathers everywhere. She recently stopped laying and the heat has been brutal. Penny is one of the top ladies in the flock so I’m certain she’s not being bullied by another bird. I don’t think this is because of getting the good lovin’ from my rooster because she usually out-runs him 😂 She is eating and drinking like usual. She’s a younger hen, not sure her age, and am wondering if she looks like she’s in molt? But in mid-summer? About 1 month ago I introduced 30 chicks but her symptoms just started a few days ago and the 30 bitties have a separate coop right now although all free range together during the day. I checked her vent for lice/mites and found nothing. Appreciate any feedback/input!

Attachments

• IMG_8331.jpeg
    IMG_8331.jpeg
    998.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8329.jpeg
    IMG_8329.jpeg
    736.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8333.jpeg
    IMG_8333.jpeg
    851.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom