Molting Ameracauna

callmeskipper

Chirping
12 Years
May 8, 2008
One of my four girls is molting (whoever described their coop as looking like a pillow fight just happened really nailed the description!). Does anyone know how long it will last?
Are some breeds more prone to this than others?
Thanks!
Danielle

I agree all my birds are molting some are taking about a two weeks and some have been at it for a month now.

Henry

I have two RIRs, one has been going through a pretty hard moult for almost a month, poor girl. The other went through it very slowly and gradually (started in August, is just finishing up now)-- she continued to lay through the process but not as frequently. Don't worry, it will pass!

Kelli

Quote:
fl.gif
Do you promise it will pass?
fl.gif

DH went to hen house the first of them moulting...he almost closed the door to get me! He thought something had gotten a hen!
gig.gif

I have Ameraucana's too and have never seen any bird moult like this year! I've been feeding mine a higher cal/fat food atleast until they get all their feathers. Good luck- save the nice feathers, its cool when you give a kid that comes to visit a feather, they love them!

I have Ameracaunas molting at 11 months, is this normal? I know it is shorter days and colder, but I add light in the coop at night to compensate and all my other breeds don't molt. I have never had any chickens molt at 11 months.

Back
Top Bottom