Molting and starving

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
My girl is a young molter, almost 9 months, started about three weeks ago. She was pretty lethargic, but never has been super energetic (salmon faverolle). I had another pullet die a couple of weeks ago, not related, but my polish began to peck the molting girl until her comb bled, so I brought her inside where she has been since a couple of days before Thanksgiving.

She's refused BOSS, meal worms, scrambled eggs, spinach, scratch, and cat food the entire time, but was eating a little of her flock raiser mixed with feather fixer and drinking water. She has gradually been eating less and less and quit eating altogether last night. Not drinking either. I've syringed a little water today. She won't even eat mash made from her feed. Only two very liquid poops today. What can I do to help her appetite? I'm afraid she's going to starve to death.

Oh, I've also given a couple of drops of nutri-drench in her water yesterday and the day before.

Have you checked for a blocked crop?
She hasn't filled her crop, even at night, since I've had her inside. Even when she was eating, it never got very full. It's flat as usual right now.
Or are you having some coccidiosis maybe?
Her stools seemed normal until she stopped eating. I have corid. Should I try it?

Any confirmation of why the other recent death occurred? Sorry for your loss. :(
Other girl suddenly was blue one day and lethargic. Vet said possible crop problem. Had a seizure and died.

:fl

I apologize and see I did that all wrong.

No signs of coccidiosis, but possible, of course. Stools looked normal until she stopped eating. Crop is flat, and she's been super finicky lately, so it's barely felt like anything is in it even after she has eaten. She smacks her beak occasionally, but will not eat.

Other girl's comb was suddenly blue one day, and she was lethargic. Took her to vet who said possible crop problem/dehydration. She had a seizure and died after her first tube feeding at home. The reason I included that on the post was because of establishment of new pecking order.

Is there any smell coming from the mouth? Like a sour odor?

See if this link will help you at all...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Hydration IS key... she won't starve, just lose a little weight.

Sometimes... Marek's can cause crop or digestion issues. Too bad the vet didn't recommend a necropsy on the first one.

So glad she took a drink for you... if she passes or goes down hill I Hope you will consider getting one.. info to help with that just in case...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Let's just hope she's coming around from..being..bullied. Some chickens don't handle that very well at all.

EggSighted4Life mentioned Coccidiosis which I've learned doesn't show up in just "blood" in the poop. You could try Corid, just in case :fl

If her crop is flat, she's not eating. Is it possible she picked up something & it's lodged in her throat? Can you have someone help you hold her, get a flashlight & look down her throat? There was an incident where a chick swallowed a "thread" which tangled it's tongue and pulled it back far into it's throat. OP was able to remove the thread & chick recovered.

Did you try soaking the cat food? Try making a mash (oatmeal consistency) out of her FR/FF mix. Have you tried plain yogurt? Try giving her Nutri Drench straight (couple drops), applesauce, raw egg yolk ... If she takes the liquid easier, I'm thinking something lodged in her throat or the same issue as the one that passed :hugs

My girl is a young molter, almost 9 months, started about three weeks ago. She was pretty lethargic, but never has been super energetic
She's refused BOSS, meal worms, scrambled eggs, spinach, scratch, and cat food the entire time, but was eating a little of her flock raiser mixed with feather fixer and drinking water. She has gradually been eating less and less and quit eating altogether last night. Not drinking either. I've syringed a little water today. She won't even eat mash made from her feed. Only two very liquid poops today. What can I do to help her appetite? I'm afraid she's going to starve to death.

Oh, I've also given a couple of drops of nutri-drench in her water yesterday and the day before.
Can you post photos of her and her poop?
I would re-check that crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks.

Molting can be hard on them. I would give her a direct dose of the Poultry Nutri-Drench for about 3 days in a row (1cc per 3 lbs of weight).
Encourage her to eat her normal feed - the flock raiser/feather fixer. Stir in a about 1 tablespoon of yogurt to see if that entices her.

Is she still lethargic? Check her very well for lice/mites and get a fecal float if possible to rule out worms and Coccidiosis.

Hope she is feeling better soon, keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom