Molting Hen Serious Skin Infection

Songster
Aug 30, 2022
Chesterfield, VA
My flock is about 6 months old and they are going through what seems to be a minor molt. One hen has been getting picked on so we isolated her, which I read was normal. When everyone is settled in the coop we put her in with them and isolate again in the morning.

I noticed something looked off when she flapped her wings and it looks like she is battling a serious skin infection. May be worth noting that my flock is battling Marek's, but we have not had any illnesses for a couple of months.

How should I treat her? I was thinking of soaking her in a warm epsom salt bath for maybe 30 minutes and seeing what we can clean off, then applying Vetericyn. We also have some homemade salve with colendula and jewelweed that works well for human skin issues, and worked well on our neighbor's rooster with frostbite on comb. Should we try to get some antibiotics? Also have some VetRX and Nutridrench.

Attachments

• 55DA3DFD-BDAB-4ABF-B9DF-BC4D576642A5.jpeg
    55DA3DFD-BDAB-4ABF-B9DF-BC4D576642A5.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 7A124FE8-EF68-486A-BBE4-732ACBA7A8D1.jpeg
    7A124FE8-EF68-486A-BBE4-732ACBA7A8D1.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 14
I think cleaning it off in the Epsom salt bath is a good idea and then I would try to get some Neosporin or similar (antibiotic ointment) to put on it. I might try to get some oral antibiotics too as that looks pretty serious but might not be necessary. I’d definitely get some antibiotic ointment though. And I would keep her isolated till it heals.

6 months old and they are going through what seems to be a minor molt. One hen has been getting picked on so we isolated her, which I read was normal.

I noticed something looked off when she flapped her wings and it looks like she is battling a serious skin infection.
Do you have a rooster or cockerel?

Looks like a wound.
Clean it well with Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.
Any bad odors?

What's your weather like? Clean and tend to the wound daily, if it's warm outside, be sure to inspect it carefully and keep flies away. Wounds under the wings can get a bit moist and oozy, so if you notice this, then swab it out well with one of the antiseptics I mentioned above.

When you get time, more photos of the whole bird would be nice so we can see her face and condition.
Thanks!

Do you have a rooster or cockerel?

Looks like a wound.
Clean it well with Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.
Any bad odors?

What's your weather like? Clean and tend to the wound daily, if it's warm outside, be sure to inspect it carefully and keep flies away. Wounds under the wings can get a bit moist and oozy, so if you notice this, then swab it out well with one of the antiseptics I mentioned above.

When you get time, more photos of the whole bird would be nice so we can see her face and condition.
Thanks!
I’m bathing her now. It’s like her skin is coming off with her feathers. Where you see the quills going in…I can pull that light colored part back with quills intact

Attachments

• 77C0A540-0CE3-436F-8133-F3B465406F46.jpeg
    77C0A540-0CE3-436F-8133-F3B465406F46.jpeg
    795.3 KB · Views: 14
  • AC81AC00-C3CA-4B21-9D9E-E19BB4391D65.jpeg
    AC81AC00-C3CA-4B21-9D9E-E19BB4391D65.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
My flock is about 6 months old and they are going through what seems to be a minor molt. One hen has been getting picked on so we isolated her, which I read was normal. When everyone is settled in the coop we put her in with them and isolate again in the morning.

I noticed something looked off when she flapped her wings and it looks like she is battling a serious skin infection. May be worth noting that my flock is battling Marek's, but we have not had any illnesses for a couple of months.

How should I treat her? I was thinking of soaking her in a warm epsom salt bath for maybe 30 minutes and seeing what we can clean off, then applying Vetericyn. We also have some homemade salve with colendula and jewelweed that works well for human skin issues, and worked well on our neighbor's rooster with frostbite on comb. Should we try to get some antibiotics? Also have some VetRX and Nutridrench.
I've heard that some are using IVERMECTIN for infections. I buy the horse Ivermectin (6 tubes for $50, on Amazon). It's the same weather for horses, dogs or humans. More expensive if you ask for human. I used the horse version for myself everyday. I do have an urge to trot around the yard and whinny now and then. Other than that, I'm fine. Seriously, I read on this site that a lady had sick chickens and she put Ivermectin in their water. It seemed to do the trick. Also, I've read about the use of warm water and a cup of Epsom Salts. Soak the chicken for around 20 minutes on a warm day.

I've heard that some are using IVERMECTIN for infections. I buy the horse Ivermectin (6 tubes for $50, on Amazon). It's the same weather for horses, dogs or humans. More expensive if you ask for human. I used the horse version for myself everyday. I do have an urge to trot around the yard and whinny now and then. Other than that, I'm fine. Seriously, I read on this site that a lady had sick chickens and she put Ivermectin in their water. It seemed to do the trick. Also, I've read about the use of warm water and a cup of Epsom Salts. Soak the chicken for around 20 minutes on a warm day.
Links to what you read.
Thank you.

Trim the feathers away from the wound and get some more photos.
I would use Chlorhexidine or Betadine to clean the wound.
I will try when I get home today. I cannot emphasize enough that her skin is literally pulling away from her body. Like I can see down into a pocket of bare clean flesh…looks the same as when I skin one out. The “wounds” are the same on both sides.

I’ve looked all over the internet and have seen nothing at all similar to this. And this is a light molt…even if she recovers (which I am highly doubting), the fall molt will probably be far worse for her.

I’m in the headspace to just put her down. Every single chicken we have tried to nurse back to health (variety of symptoms due to Marek’s) has died. Her face looks good for now but I know she’s in a lot of pain…has to be.

If you feel she needs to be put down, that's your call.

You still didn't say whether you have a rooster or cockerel.

I understand what you are saying. Yes, there's fatty tissue hanging out from the wound and sometimes there is an open space.
Being on both sides usually is an indication of injury, whether from mating or a predator, but usually mating.
Feathers are all fuzzed up and frounced like that, mating/treading.

If you feel she needs to be put down, that's your call.

You still didn't say whether you have a rooster or cockerel.

I understand what you are saying. Yes, there's fatty tissue hanging out from the wound and sometimes there is an open space.
Being on both sides usually is an indication of injury, whether from mating or a predator, but usually mating.
Feathers are all fuzzed up and frounced like that, mating/treading.
Yes we have a rooster but she has been isolated over a week. All of the chickens look fuzzed like that because they are molting. There was nothing wrong with her until the molt. It’s not an injury. It may have been irritated by mating, but our rooster is not super aggressive and the other hens would have something similar going on. The wounds are exactly the same on both sides. The skin can be pulled away towards the rib cage to reveal clean flesh. This is happening everywhere she is losing feathers. If it were an injury she would be recovering and it would not look exactly like this on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom