Molting Hen Serious Skin Infection

Links to what you read.
Thank you.
ivermectin is a worming agent and miticide in birds so it could help chickens. It is a common cure against airsac mites and feather mites in indoor birds. It is not however a miracle cure or something people or animals should be taking daily that started during covid and imo is nonsense.

Yes we have a rooster but she has been isolated over a week. All of the chickens look fuzzed like that because they are molting. There was nothing wrong with her until the molt. It’s not an injury. It may have been irritated by mating, but our rooster is not super aggressive and the other hens would have something similar going on. The wounds are exactly the same on both sides. The skin can be pulled away towards the rib cage to reveal clean flesh. This is happening everywhere she is losing feathers. If it were an injury she would be recovering and it would not look exactly like this on both sides.
Ah, I see.
Well, if you feel that it's something odd going on and she's suffering, then putting her down and getting some testing through your state lab to find out what's going on will give you some answers.

ivermectin is a worming agent and miticide in birds so it could help chickens. It is a common cure against airsac mites and feather mites in indoor birds. It is not however a miracle cure or something people or animals should be taking daily that started during covid and imo is nonsense.
Thank you for quoting me and the info. I do understand what Ivermectin is and how it can be used in poultry, livestock and humans. I was specifically quoting and resquesting that @kbroom provide links to the information that they said they had read and heard about - always something new to learn and read. 👇
I've heard that some are using IVERMECTIN for infections. I buy the horse Ivermectin (6 tubes for $50, on Amazon). It's the same weather for horses, dogs or humans. More expensive if you ask for human. I used the horse version for myself everyday. I do have an urge to trot around the yard and whinny now and then. Other than that, I'm fine. Seriously, I read on this site that a lady had sick chickens and she put Ivermectin in their water. It seemed to do the trick. Also, I've read about the use of warm water and a cup of Epsom Salts. Soak the chicken for around 20 minutes on a warm day.
Links to what you read.
Thank you.

Ah, I see.
Well, if you feel that it's something odd going on and she's suffering, then putting her down and getting some testing through your state lab to find out what's going on will give you some answers.

Thank you for quoting me and the info. I do understand what Ivermectin is and how it can be used in poultry, livestock and humans. I was specifically quoting and resquesting that @kbroom provide links to the information that they said they had read and heard about - always something new to learn and read. 👇
I don't know if you go on RUMBLE, but I found it there. I do not remember the specific channel where I read it, but I'm sure if you write in the word Ivermectin, you'll find where doctors and users alike have used it for a number of ailments. I don't have a habit of writing down every single reference I find, but if you're interested, it won't be that difficult to find.

Yes it IS a worming agent, but apparently it has been used world wide for other causes. You can always research it, if this advise doesn't please you. There are MANY drugs used for a number of ailments. Common sense should rule.

I don't know if you go on RUMBLE, but I found it there. I do not remember the specific channel where I read it, but I'm sure if you write in the word Ivermectin, you'll find where doctors and users alike have used it for a number of ailments. I don't have a habit of writing down every single reference I find, but if you're interested, it won't be that difficult to find.
Thank you, I'll go have a look then:)

Rumble (platform); Restoration of America (Channel, site); Dr. Paul Marik, Chairman of Fronline Critical Care Alliance, COVID LIES (Espisode). This is just one of thousands of sites you can research. I can't do it all for you.

We soaked her again today in epsom salt solution for 30 minutes hoping it would soften things enough to better debride the wound. I was able to get some things off but still things weren’t nearly soft enough to remove. I feel like the skin just needs to be cut off but there’s no way I could do it. I took about 8 syringes of chlrohexidine per side and squirted it forcefully inside the loose skin to force out as much foreign material as I could.

I don’t have the bandwidth to do this every day. I will keep applying Vetericyn several times a day. I don’t know what else to do. If a bad infection develops or her overall health starts to decline I will put her down. I had help today so here is a better picture. Both sides look like this. So horrible.

372C5229-20AB-41F7-92CA-C08E92283F6A.jpeg

Rumble (platform); Restoration of America (Channel, site); Dr. Paul Marik, Chairman of Fronline Critical Care Alliance, COVID LIES (Espisode). This is just one of thousands of sites you can research. I can't do it all for you.

I’m not familiar with those sources but I do agree with you. There are MANY off-label uses for MANY drugs, including Ivermectin. I had a severe case of the delta variant of covid and my doc prescribed ivermectin and I believe it saved my life. There were several clinical trials showing that it was extremely effective in treating c19. To the nay-sayers, why do you think there was such a ridiculous smear campaign against ivermectin? No critical questions or thinking.

You may find the photos in the thread below helpful, they show the healing process in poultry.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wounds-pictures-of-how-they-heal.1325817/

If you are not detecting a bad odor, then you are on the right track. To me it looks like it's healing o.k. Triple antibiotic ointment on the wound would be good to use to help keep it moist. Chlorhexidine is good stuff, I use it on me and my birds. A lot of times if the wound is kept relatively clean like you are doing, antibiotics are not needed.
For a deep wound like that, it may need to be "cleaned" with chlorhexidine daily for a while. You may consider putting your solution in a spray bottle and spritzing it daily instead of irrigation since you have given a good cleaning.
The biggest thing to worry about is flies, you do not want flies to access the wounds, they lay eggs on wounds and maggots emerge. This is called Flystrike, the maggots will cause infection and a lot of damage in a very short period of time (24hrs or so).

Do the best you can. I agree, the wounds are large and they will take a while to heal. Accessing her daily is the only way to go, I agree, sometimes they take a sharp turn for the worse and then you have to make that call.

In my experience, this is an injury from your rooster. It doesn’t mean that he is aggressive and it doesn’t mean this would happen to all your hens - he can do it without meaning to and perhaps he favours this hen or physically she is more susceptible to the damage. I am sure that’s not what you want to hear but I have seen the exact same damage to a hen (a single hen in a flock) caused by a rooster.

I know the wounds look very dramatic but it’s amazing how chickens can recover and heal in situations like this, especially if you keep the wound clean. @Wyorp Rock is giving excellent advice as usual.

All the best to you and your hen for a great recovery.

Back
Top Bottom