Molting, Losing Weight, Lethargic *pic*

I decided I'm sending her for a necropsy. I will take her first thing tomorrow (her body is refrigerated, and the lab says up to 48 hours after death is ok if refrigerated). I'm pretty sure it was something like cancer or a reproductive disorder because she had no signs of any of the bad infectious stuff. But I'd like to know what it was so that if any of the remaining 9 start showing similar symptoms I'll at least know what it is and how to treat it (or not treat it).

Now her best buddy, Jessamine, is feeling alone, and the pecking order is resetting a bit.

Sad say in my house. Poor girl. She was a good little chicken.
Good decision, as it will give you peace of mind not having to wonder if it might be something that could have been passed to your remaining flock.
I think you are right assuming something like cancer or reproductive disorder, but it never hurts to get the official confirmation.

To see the friend appearing lost during the first days is always somewhat sad, but with time and the shift of the pecking order she will find a new buddy to hang out with.

So sorry to hear. Peaceful journey to Magnolia and virtual hugs to you.

That's a good call on the necropsy--the information from it will hopefully give even more meaning to Magnolia's journey. Please post an update if you think of it.

I got the preliminary results today. Magnolia was suffering from raging salpingitis and peritonitis. Poor baby girl. I wish I could have caught it sooner. Don't know how I could have done that, but yeah...
😔
Thanks for letting us know.

Do you feed treats daily?

I got the preliminary results today. Magnolia was suffering from raging salpingitis and peritonitis. Poor baby girl. I wish I could have caught it sooner. Don't know how I could have done that, but yeah...
😔
:hugs The only way I know to help prevent it is by changing the bedding in the nest boxes every 12 days. If it gets soiled, change more often so no dirt or other germs, fungus or mould from the bedding can cause infection via the hens cloaca during the act of laying.

Back
Top Bottom