Molting or Mating Rooster?

64Galaxie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
CT
Hi, I had bought 4 new Red Star hens that are 1-2 years old. I was wondering if they seem like they are molting, or just from one of his roosters? Only one of them is laying, although I did get two eggs from them last Tuesday. I think they have more of white feathers than they did when I got them. They all get along with my chickens, eat, drink, and sleep. I notice that my rooster also mates with them. The guy I bought them from made sure they are laying. I know that moving them can cause a molt. A couple of them have noticeable quils on their feathers and some loss of feathers on top of head. Here are some pics.
You can see that there are white fluff feathers on the top of her head

This picture was taken a couple weeks ago. So I need to get some new ones of these guys. Also, if they are in molt, how long after molting does it take to lay eggs? Thanks

First off,moving them doesn't cause molt,it causes "stress".
Some are molting,or all,it also sounds like mating,from the head description.

ThePRfan

Thank you all for your input. Yeah, it may be both. I hope that they are more coming out of the molt it seems. I don't really remember how they looked when I got them. I didn't pay attention. I will try to get more INDIVIDUAL pics if I can. Depending on the weather if they are outside. IF this is from the rooster, then I don't know why they won't lay. I will just have to wait about 1-2 more weeks to notice a difference.

I just put them back in and I noticed that on the one with quils in the back it seems a little red underneath. Will get some pictures tomorrow of their vent area. No black or anything, and I saw no mites. Also, in molting aren't there a lot of feathers on the ground? When cleaning the coop I see no feather loss. So maybe they are coming from a molt.

This is the one that had red underneath the quils. It seems alright. There are red spot near her tail though and some on the vent. No bleeding. I think it was from his flock of 50-100 that pecked. How long will it take to regrow?
Here are better pics of the missing feathers/quils.
This one seems to have new feathers, I think this one is the layer
This is another one that has more broken, chipped not nice looking tail feathers. Hopefully they are almost done molting, except the on without tail feathers. Anyt thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom