Molting out of season?

Kathie816

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
Indiana
One of my buff orpingtons looks like she's molting, but she usually does it in the fall/early winter. I haven't seen any bullying, we don't have a rooster and she's the only one, suggesting it's not flock-wide (flock of three). Any advice or suggestions?

Last edited:
Check for parasites. Mites in particular.

Stress associated with sustained lay can cause feather loss. So can poor nutritional status when lost feathers were growing in.

Some aspects of molt likely ongoing. Mine have been replacing flight feathers since early may and will continue through November.

Spring\Summer molts are common if the hen hasn't molted during the fall. But, one of my hens(mite-free) molted in the fall AND the spring. I think this occurred so the hen could get rid of her heavy winter feathers to make way for light summer feathers.
Nature is confusing!

Spring\Summer molts are common if the hen hasn't molted during the fall. But, one of my hens(mite-free) molted in the fall AND the spring. I think this occurred so the hen could get rid of her heavy winter feathers to make way for light summer feathers.
Nature is confusing!

Back
Top Bottom