Molting/Peeling

Taylor H

Hatching
May 24, 2021
Is it normal for my baby ducklings skin to peel as they molt (I'm assuming they are molting because they're going bald)? It only seems to be on the back of the neck and one seems to have a small little sore from the peeling nothing major. Kinda new to the whole duck thing so was just curious before I stress out lol.
Tried getting best possible photo, but he didnt wanna sit still of course.. and one other question. Is there any way to help them with their itchyness?

Attachments

• 20210525_000926.jpg
    20210525_000926.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210525_000743.jpg
    20210525_000743.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210525_001513.jpg
    20210525_001513.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 5
Maybe he’s dehydrated. Does he have water? I’m not sure what it might be. I think it’s normal unless he has a mite infestation or flea infestation? Try looking trough his fur and check for little small critters that could be causing that. If you find some give him some mite/parasite treatment. But I’m not internally sure if it’s normal though

That is not normal.
The balding could be the result of several things; pecking from other birds, malnutrition, unsanitary environments, or ectoparasites.
The fact that the balding is occurring mainly over the head makes me wonder whether the ducklings have been set out with other birds, and they are getting picked on?
Is that the case?
Could you shine a little more light on what their feeding/housing situation is?
Have you examined their bodies for any tiny bugs crawling around?

No there's only two and they have about two areas that i keep them in. They have a little space in the backyard marked off with chicken wire and supervise em and then a big plastic container for inside with bedding so that I can bring them in at night due to them being young( plus alot of people taking animals in our area). I'll try to post it today when I get home but it gets cleaned about once a day. I haven't seen any bugs like mites or anything. I thought it could have been but can't find anything. I looked at all the known areas but nothing. Weight wise and eating they are fine. I put aloe Vera on the neck where it peeled and seems to help(vet said to do it for a week). That was the only spot and around the eyes seem to be growing back now. There was balding on the stomach but it's growing back pretty much now and they seem to be getting feathers in on their tail. Not their fluff but actual feathers. They did have a water bowl deep enough to clean their heads but weren't cleaning the food off very well or quick enough because i was having to clean their heads myself. So I've just been waiting to see if It would grow back if I keep doing it. Other than that they get in the water and keep the rest of themselves clean. Just kinda a weird thing all around

Maybe he’s dehydrated. Does he have water? I’m not sure what it might be. I think it’s normal unless he has a mite infestation or flea infestation? Try looking trough his fur and check for little small critters that could be causing that. If you find some give him some mite/parasite treatment. But I’m not internally sure if it’s normal though
They have a big container of water. Gets changed regular, no mites or fleas, eating and happy. They only seemed to be bothered by the itching part. I was thinking maybe it's the molting faze besides the skin shedding or peeling. But i put aloe Vera and it seems to help

No there's only two and they have about two areas that i keep them in. They have a little space in the backyard marked off with chicken wire and supervise em and then a big plastic container for inside with bedding so that I can bring them in at night due to them being young( plus alot of people taking animals in our area). I'll try to post it today when I get home but it gets cleaned about once a day. I haven't seen any bugs like mites or anything. I thought it could have been but can't find anything. I looked at all the known areas but nothing. Weight wise and eating they are fine. I put aloe Vera on the neck where it peeled and seems to help(vet said to do it for a week). That was the only spot and around the eyes seem to be growing back now. There was balding on the stomach but it's growing back pretty much now and they seem to be getting feathers in on their tail. Not their fluff but actual feathers. They did have a water bowl deep enough to clean their heads but weren't cleaning the food off very well or quick enough because i was having to clean their heads myself. So I've just been waiting to see if It would grow back if I keep doing it. Other than that they get in the water and keep the rest of themselves clean. Just kinda a weird thing all around
When you say that you had to clean their heads yourself were you just dipping their head in water, gently scrubbing, using soap?

When you say that you had to clean their heads yourself were you just dipping their head in water, gently scrubbing, using soap?
Most of the time yeah with dawn soap. Every once in awhile i give em a bath with warm water and Dawn soap because they like to sit in it but that's rare as they normally stay clean besides head

Most of the time yeah with dawn soap. Every once in awhile i give em a bath with warm water and Dawn soap because they like to sit in it but that's rare as they normally stay clean besides head
I would bet money that is the cause of the bald patches...Dawn is actually much harsher than most people think. I won't even use it to do dishes anymore because if makes my hands peel. Soap should only be used as a last resort measure (last resort as in washing oil spill residue off of ducks etc.) especially dawn since it has degreasing agents that strip their feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom