Molting Question

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
My birds are only about 15 months old and a few weeks ago about a third of them have started molting. I thought this was a little early. A month ago I treated them for lice with Elector PSP. Many of them had been walking around with bare backs either due to the lice or two over aggressive roosters. It worked well, but could this have sent them into an early molt? I’m not complaining as the hope is they will have all their feathers before the snow flies. I’m just wondering if some of my birds are early melters or the Elector PSP had something to do with it. Any thoughts?

Chickens can and will molt at any time during the year, but it's very common to start in the late summer or early fall when the days are getting shorter. I've had hens choose to molt in November - dumb birds!!! (I put a heat lamp in the coop just for these poor naked ladies.) They came through just fine and were fully feathered by Christmas.

Typical annual molts can be anywhere from mid-summer to winter. I have older birds that start earlier and earlier each year (July this year) and one bird that molts late, typically in early/mid-December.

Stress can also cause molts or partial molts, so maybe lice + overmating could've caused it, but timing is also about right for just regular annual molting.

Typical annual molts can be anywhere from mid-summer to winter. I have older birds that start earlier and earlier each year (July this year) and one bird that molts late, typically in early/mid-December.

Stress can also cause molts or partial molts, so maybe lice + overmating could've caused it, but timing is also about right for just regular annual molting.
Thank you. I guess sin this is the first molt for my birds, I was figuring the standard 18-20 months old. It may have been the lice was a greater problem than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom