1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting - weather - vent

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Matt A NC, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have 3 hens molting; Cream is a Dutch bantam, C_Blue is Bantam Cochin, and Sky is a bantam cochin. The cochins are in the same house and Cream is a free-ranger. I know for a fact that all 3 of these hens molted in august and september. Cream was laying well up to about a month ago and then started molting. Makes no sense to me why the ladies are molting for a second time in the same season.

Sky and C_Blue are a little further along and are fine, but Cream is just starting. Last night was in the low 20s and tonight is going down to the high teens. He is perky, eating, fat(for a Dutch), and fussing at me as usual, but when she stops for breaks she just acts plain COLD. She is getting loose feather splotches in several places. That is how I describe them. There are 8 dutch(2 quads) in that small house, so they keep each other plenty warm at night. These colder then usual nights I close up some of the ventilation.

I wish I could speed her molt along. When I picked up, she felt warm and quickly ate her mealworms. She then proceeded to follow me and fuss that I didn't give her more, so I dropped a couple more. [​IMG] She gets mealworms are other treats daily.

I guess I am just worring about nothing, but I don't like her being cold. She is spoiled rotten and I love my little lady. [​IMG]

Matt

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    i sure dont know about 2x molting, but i do know that it really makes me wonder why a chicken would start their mold in the cold part of the season... I mean, im in california, and right now is the only cold time and i have one molting too. Geesh,, im glad her sister is a giant and squishes her in at night to keep her warm..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by