Molting with blood spots

Jackthebear

Hatching
Oct 29, 2020
I have 3 hens and one is having a rough molt, one of our other hens has pecked at her and there’s a few spots of blood. I spray vteracin and cover the area with pick no more, but every morning it’s worn off and she’s got some bloody spots. It’s been 3 days and I have now separated the pecking culprit in the other half of the coop during the day. My question is should there be some veterinary intervention? Has anyone seen this and successfully kept things clean enough to heal without antibiotics?

Attachments

• 21EA6D11-3D8E-4BFB-B3D2-42DE1B36C263.jpeg
    21EA6D11-3D8E-4BFB-B3D2-42DE1B36C263.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 0BC83DA6-964B-47E5-A4D3-B2A6478ED361.jpeg
    0BC83DA6-964B-47E5-A4D3-B2A6478ED361.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I have 3 hens and one is having a rough molt, one of our other hens has pecked at her and there’s a few spots of blood. I spray vteracin and cover the area with pick no more, but every morning it’s worn off and she’s got some bloody spots. It’s been 3 days and I have now separated the pecking culprit in the other half of the coop during the day. My question is should there be some veterinary intervention? Has anyone seen this and successfully kept things clean enough to heal without antibiotics?
Pine tar works better than the pick no more stuff. Some birds will even tear themselves up because it itches so bad when new feathers grow in.

I would separate the hen getting wounded or the peckers with a chicken wire wall within my coop, but it depends on your set up. This separating would help the hen not be so stress and continue to be pecked/wounded. I also use vetericyn on wounds, I will also use blukote as a last resort for pecking. I hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom