Molting

Ma57

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2017
My girls are molding during the coldest time of the year. Any helpful hints to keep them warm? Or, is this normal?

You haven't included your location on your profile page and that is particularly relevant in relation to this question. The coldest time of the year in one part of the world may be considered quite mild in another.
I would be wary of using a heat lamp if you don't absolutely need to, so some indication of night time temps would be helpful. There are cases of coop fires every year involving heat lamps and even if you have it very securely attached, dust and dander can accumulate on them and still cause them to overheat.

One of my bantams had a very heavy molt last month, and grew feathers back in record time! She spent time huddled with friends, and didn't appear distressed or needing a heat lamp. My coop is generally a bit less cold than outside, when the birds want to be in because of the snow cover.
Do be careful if you add a heat lamp!!!
At least a GFCI outlet, and maybe one of the newer AFCI/GFCI outlets, and a very secure lamp and bulb. Premier1supplies.com has a very nice one, and good bulbs to use with it.
Mary

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a heat lamp unless necessary. It gets down to -40F here. If it got below -4F (-20 C) then I might consider a heat source for molting birds.
If you do provide a heat lamp make sure it's secured to the roof or you will risk a coop fire.

My advice would be to make sure they are getting higher protein while molting. Try feeding them starter/grower 18-20% and offer them oyster shell on the side. They don't need the calcium in layer feed while they are molting and the higher protein will go to growing those new feathers. Also, all the flock can eat the starter grower and the ones that want the calcium can get it via oyster shell while the ones that don't need it won't have it forced on them.

One of my hens just went through a full molt while the temps here were 28-32 degrees and she did just fine with no supplemental heat.

One of mine did. It was so cold I brought her inside and put her in a cold room for three days until the cold spell passed. No point in having a butt naked chicken in zero degree weather. I'm glad I did because she looked like she was suffering, and now she's fine. In addition to her 20% protein feed I'm feeding her scrambled eggs and cat food (38% protein). The feathers are growing out nicely.

Back
Top Bottom