Mom rejecting chick

The mom's other chicks were about a week old when this one was born. I tried to introduce the new one at night, and obviously this happened.
I am concerned about a possible brain injury. She had her first poop yesterday when she was almost 36 hours old. She's drinking water but not eating. She is separated from mom and under a heat lamp. I was going to give her some hard boiled egg to see if she'll eat it.
Yes, that Chick was introduced to the Hen too late after the first were hatched...I would only try the starter feed and fresh water...Peep to it now and use your finger as momma would her beak..A mirror and teddy work too..Chick will cuddle to the teddy and mirror...

That's a good start, do you have any of the things in my list. There are two potentials here I think. 1) is injury/neurological, 2) vitamin deficiency, if its the latter we can work on it. if the former, the prognosis not good. @chickens really have I missed anything?

That's a good start, do you have any of the things in my list. There are two potentials here I think. 1) is injury/neurological, 2) vitamin deficiency, if its the latter we can work on it. if the former, the prognosis not good. @chickens really have I missed anything?
No..You missed nothing really....I hope it pulls through...Keep it warm...Don't force it though to eat...You can dip its beak in the water only if it puts head back and swallows...

Hard day yesterday. The chick would not stop chirping. I had it cuddled up in my shoulder/shirt for warmth and love. My daughter and i took turns for about 3 hours. Our chick started to drink but not eat. As it drank it would fall asleep. It looked in my shirt so I checked it's bottom.
It looked bad, like it was really bruised. It also had a slight prolapse. It couldn't use it's legs, I believe when mom pecked it's head it cause a TBI, that rendered it's legs useless. My son culled it. It's always heartbreaking in our house when this happens. With what we experienced and really bring torn with 2 sets of different age chicks we opted to get rid of the other eggs that looked ready to hatch.
So, we have 11 5 week old chicks, and 5 1 week old chicks both with their mamas.
Thanks for listening and helping

Back
Top Bottom