Mom wants out!!

mmclaughlin

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
New Hampshire

Ok here is my nursery.. Tonight I found both mom and baby out of the nursery and sleeping with the rest of my girls in the big girl coop... So if everyone is getting along do I leave them all together? ( baby is almost 3 weeks old) do I put all the girls on chick starter.. Hmmm anything else I need to do? Or do I put them back in the nursery and put a temp roof to keep them in??

Mom will protect the chick if others seem aggressive towards it. Think of them being out in the wild. You might even find that the other hens will protect the baby chick as well. I would only separate them if the other hens are being a problem for mom and chick and I don't think that would happen unless the chick came from a different flock or is showing signs of illness. If from a different flock then keeping them separated for a while is good to see how the rest of the chickens react towards it. Also for disease control as well.

Last edited:
I always heard layer feed is very bad for chicks due to the excess calcium and can cause their liver to shut down.

I would switch them all to grower feed, and supplement with crushed oyster shell.

Letting them mingle will help them get along with other birds better. Do you feed pellets or mash to your hens? If you feed pellets it wouldn't hurt to mix the chick starter and pellets together. The pellets should be to big for the chicks and the will sort out their food. By the way, lovely brooder!

Mom is taking good care of chick.. I also counted wrong chick was hatched on 6/21 so she's only 3 weeks today...moms very protective..but all in all everyone is getting along fine :)
I feed layer crumble to I put chick starter on the ground feeder and hang the crumble under the coop.. seems to be working ok
I just thought the layer feed would be to much calcium?
thanks for the compliment on the nursery :)....
I love watching mom teach the little one how to eat worms and scratch
she takes her to the coop for naps and is the 1st to go to the coop at night for bed time :)
chick is a white leghorn anyone know when I'll be able to tell pullet or roo??
I "feather sexed" at 2-3 days staggered wing feathers ..pullet?? not sure how accurate that is
thanks
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom