Mom's favorite sayings

My mom was FULL of sayings.

"wouldn't last longer than a paper shirt in a bear fight" is one i use to this day.

"shakin' like a dog poopin' a peach pit" is another one that makes me laugh.

I have a ton more, but I am having a senior moment and can't think of any!!

Quote:
My mom always told us she wasn't a short order cook
wink.png

Quote:
My dad would say the same only to add "When he got to next week he would knock me back so I could see what I missed."

The one that has had the most impact on me in my life was my Grandmother would always remind me that a man is known by the word that he keeps!

My Dad was never very good at giving relationship advice, he would say things like:

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone.

"Coyote ugly" was explained to me one day as: if you woke up with your arm trapped under the person sleeping next to you, you would chew off your own arm to get away, rather then take a chance waking up that person.

On high school nervous about asking a girl out: "Go ask the Wallflower, they'll be to shocked to say no"

Fortunately, I never followed his advice and looked for a girl that could turn a yard bird into dinner within an hour.

My dad always said two things..... "No one said life was fair" and "life's a (female dog) and then you die"

My mother would say things like, "There are kids starving in africa", "Wait til your father gets home", "Well, I'm not so and so's mother" when we'd complain that so and so was getting to do something we wanted to do, "If so and so jumped off a bridge would you?" and such.....

My grandfather was great for saying things you can't repeat in mixed company.......Like "it's colder than a witch's - - - in a brass bra" and yes, that was one of the cleaner sayings.......my favorite one is so and so "wouldn't know (poop) from shine-ola".

But he also had a way about him...like when ever he was excited he'd say in this deep baritone voice "Hole lee Gawd!" Whenever someone said,"have a nice day" He'd reply, "I always do". He'd say "Hun, there's only a few of us good ones left" when he was complimenting me on doing something good. And, "if it wern't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all". When we'd go off to church, he'd say, "say a prayer for us sinners." And he'd constantly remind us he wasn't going to die since "lucifer doesn't want to lose his job".

He called bread punk, candy poggie bait, and the government the giver-ment. He also would refer to Ronald Reagan as Bonzo(from the movies), the expensive minuit mart as Cheatin Chucks and my uncle in a derogatory nickname that I only learned was derogatory when I got older. He'd say things like "only mad dogs, englishmen and your grandpa are out in the noon day sun, hun", "He also referred to his service in WWII as "18 months entertaining the Jap-po-neese in the south pacific".

My Grandmother would say things like "ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die" Or whenever my grandfather would exclaim "God Bless....." in an angry way, she'd throw in "America" and start singing the song. She would also say to my mother, "stephanie, you are your father's daughter". My mother still is not sure if that was a compliment or not!

My mom told me several times "If you never date an ugly man, you'll never marry an ugly man." Speaking to my habbit of dating "nice" guys, regardless of their looks! I wouldn't say they were ugly, but she did! LOL! BTW my DH is a hunk!

My mom's two favorite sayings were: "Don't start something you can't finish." and "Only boring people get bored." I love to use both of them with my kids.

A couple of things my dad would say are, "Son of a pup!" when he got upset, so he wasn't swearing and "Stop feeling sorry for yourself." Oh, another was, "Quit crying, or I'll give you something to cry about!" One more was, "You look like the Crisco Kid----a little fat in the can." Once he said that to me when I was pregnant with my first child! It seems terrible, but I knew he was just trying to be.
smile.png

I forgot the most remembered saying of my dad's among my siblings. He would be ranting and raving about how messy the house or one of our room's or even the yard was, and he'd say, "It looks like thunder!!" Sometimes my hubby will say this with a smile-----what in the world does thunder look like anyway?!?

Last edited:
We would constanly ask my mom..What are we having for dinner..her reply
Cats ass and cabbage..!
now I use that one with my own children LOL

Back
Top Bottom