Money Saving Ideas

I think about other places in the world and how the people live and think how much is not neccasary to live. Like, shutting off all or most electricity,,,unplugging appliances,,,,get smaller fridge,,,,,ride a bike when I can,,,,,,,,to think how many people dont have electricity,,,,,or a car or tv,,,,,,,,I can do with out much more. When I made my incubator I had to go out and buy a regular light bulb
lau.gif
cause all mine were flourescent wringy dingys.

I am working on a rain barrel system to water the garden,,,,,no more watering from the hose. Too $$$$$$$ high
I am growing field peas and buckwheat for chickens on top of my food in the garden

I also forage for food, there are berrys across the road and I have found morrels before. I was thinking of getting a fishing lisense. But I also forage at the college town we have close,,,,,ok dont anybody get sick now,,,,,,,,in the trash,,,,the college kids just moved out for the semester and they throw brand new packaged food,,canned,,bags of rice,,all sorts of stuff,,,fresh fruit. 6 packs At first I wasnt too keen on it but there are an amazing amount of people who do this and they are not bums. They also throw away practically new items 1/2 used bottles of laundry detergent, laundry stain remover, bottles and bottles of shampoo,,never used makeup, medicine and bandaides,,,,,(copper,,,,aluminum). antique dressers and lamps. OK OK enough already,,,,try doing that and then see how humble you feel,,,I know a lot of people in other countrys would be just amazed at what they could live on out of the garbage...and I saw a lot of people just amazed at what they saw. Crazy huh? $ down the drain for someone else to capitalise on
th.gif

If you need to run an errand that will take you less than a mile from your house, walk, don't drive.

Make your own detergent and soap.

Grow, freeze, and can your own vegetables.

Hunt and fish.

Buy only the meat that's on sale.

Shop at dollar stores.

Simplify your life!

Quote:
There is a whole movement that feels that this is a perfectly respectable and responsible way to live, given how much we throw away in our society. It even has a name: Freeganism.

I read an article about this here:
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0605&article=060524

There's also a video at You Tube on the same group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_L612od8Ng
(I
hope that link worked. You Tube wasn't playing for me when I searched for this.) There are others with videos on this at You Tube as well.

ok...saw this on another site...

keep a bucket (or more) in your bathroom. When you take your shower and you're letting your water warm up...have that water go in the bucket...then as you are showering try to position the bucket so it catches as much of your rinse water as possible. Now use that water to flush your toilet as needed.

This could lower your water bill alot.

There is also the "Navy Shower" although that one takes getting used to.....
The "Navy Shower" is where you jump in the shower and get totally wet, then turn the water off while you suds up, then turn water back on only to rinse. I also do this when brushing teeth. I turn the water off while brushing and use a water filled dixie cup to rinse with.

Hahahaha....I thought of another silly thing we do that saves us a little bit of water and dish detergent....

We have an electric stove and when we cook something like soup (un-condensed) or veggies that are in a tin/aluminum can we leave it in the can instead of dirtying a pot and serving bowl....ok, yes this makes us look a bit like Hobo's but the kids think it's funny and it saves us having to wash a ton of dishes.

We put the hot cans on trivets so as to not burn anything and ofcourse I wouldn't do this if company was coming....
wink.png

Freezers can be big energy users. We have a large freezer and make one big grocery trip per month. About half way between the monthly trips, you start noticing a lot of empty space in the freezer. We fill plastic containers with water and put them in the empty area. This help keep the freezer colder and it doesn't have to work as long to get itself back down to temperature after the door has been open.

Also, although they can be a pain in the neck, chest type freezers are more efficient at retaining the temperature when you have to open them. With an upright, the cold air spills out when the door is open (that's why your feet get cold). A chest type freezer keeps most of it's cold air when opened.

One more thing regarding freezers. Plan ahead for what you will need for the next couple of meals and take those items out all at one time. The less you have to open it, the less it has to work.

Mark

Quote:
Thanks for that link! Great article by Michael Pollan. I've bookmarked that and am passing it along to my cohorts in our church community garden that I've been writing about over at TEG.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22643

It is possible to grow a garden, even if you have limited space in your own yard. Those of us involved in the project are running gardens at home on a small scale since we have smaller lots than most of you, and working the one at the church as well. One of the best things about our project is that by working together, we've been able to accomplish so much more than we would have alone. And, it's fun, too!

Quote:
There is a whole movement that feels that this is a perfectly respectable and responsible way to live, given how much we throw away in our society. It even has a name: Freeganism.

I read an article about this here:
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0605&article=060524

There's also a video at You Tube on the same group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_L612od8Ng
(I
hope that link worked. You Tube wasn't playing for me when I searched for this.) There are others with videos on this at You Tube as well.

Aw thanks Backyard Buddies, that is an awesome article. I will check out the video too. Yeah it was very refreshing to me to meet alot of the people who were doing the same as me. All very graciouse and sharing.

Back
Top Bottom