Monogamous Rooster ... ?

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello Chicken Friends!

So I have a bantam roo - Rory (about 2 yrs old, Serama/bantam Leghorn cross (though I suspect there are other breeds in there because he has poofy cheeks and a rose comb)). Anyhoo, he was in a space with my game hen, Larke, for a year or so (and she ended up hatching out some chicks, but I kept him in a side pen just to be on the safe side).

Recently, I incorporated both of them into the large coop/run with all my other hens (a mixed flock of 11). They’ve been all together for about two months or more, and Rory has shown zero interest in the other hens. He pecks at them and charges them, but from my observation it’s to establish dominance and not for potential mating. He only has eyes for Larke and only mates with her (and sometimes chases the other hens away from the coop when she’s in there in a nesting box).

My question is this: have any of you experienced a monogamous rooster before? One that sticks to his one hen? I’m totally okay with this - I have dreams of having some little half bantam RIRs, Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, and Polish one day, but I already have so many chickens and limited pen space that I’m in no hurry. And the hens don’t have to deal with an over eager rooster. I’m just super curious because in all my past experiences, roos like access to all the hens.

Attached is an image of Rori and Larke :wee .

- Jenna

Attachments

• CBE09DF8-BF5E-49B0-A678-8D4FF63E1C78.jpeg
    CBE09DF8-BF5E-49B0-A678-8D4FF63E1C78.jpeg
    897.5 KB · Views: 57
Yes I've seen this before. Generally it's a bantam rooster. They seem okay with less hens or even one.

Good to know! He’s my first bantam. I do have five of his sons (four live together in a bachelor pad and the smallest of them - a little bigger than Rori - lives in a side coop with two of the girls from that batch of chicks).

- Jenna

Back
Top Bottom