Montgomery Ward incubator should I buy it? PIC ADDED

If you don't like it , i will give you the money and pay for you to ship it to me, even though I have been selling alot of my collection of incubators.

Sear also sold one like that. and buckeye made one too.

Well just have a second and thought I would throw this pic of the trip home up. I haven't gotten to plug it in yet. I will report more later. Soo excited!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

photo-29.jpg

Well I plugged it in and the heating coil certainly works but I think the wafer is bad. It shot right up to 110 degrees and that was turned down all the way. Doesn't that mean the wafer is bad? It came with two extras but I wonder if they are any good either or if I need to buy a new one. All in all I am pretty pleased that the heating coil works and the wiring appears to be in good shape. I think I got pretty lucky.
33a7812e.jpg

6b469e0f.jpg

Quote:
I would not buy it unless it worked and you think it's cheaper than a new one. Consider you can buy a new LG and turner for $90. Of course it will have no fan but I suspect the Monkey wards doesn't either. If you think it's worth $100, then go for it, but check out Incubator Warehouse first. If it won't have what you need then perhaps it's not worth the trouble it may be.

You got pics?

Wish you the best

Rancher
(I bought the Genesis 1588 with turner and therm/hygrometer for $183.)

Are you kidding us....... really.......... your advising the OP to buy a LG over a clearly better incubator. Anway OP yes !!! it is well worth the $$ even if it doesn't work !!!!, parts are very cheap and they just don't make them that well anymore. I mean seriously a redwood incubator made at a time when the whole country was hatching egg's. No Styrofoam incubator on the market including the junky Chinese made LG can hold a candle to anything of this quality, the age of this unit is not an issue at all, nice find, nice piece, buy it now or regret it later.

AL

No as a matter of fact I wasn't kidding you, I was addressing the OP. First of all if it doesn't work it could end up costing alot more than $100 to get into working order. Second of all I'm not expert when it comes to antique incubators. Third I had access to a similar incubator but the instructions didn't mention how to use the "Burner" which I didn't have an could not find anywhere online. Fourth there wasn't a pic at the time of my response and not enough information about the workings of this particular incubator. I did not suggest the LG, but compared to a non working antique it would make more sense. In fact I mentioned my purchase of the Genesis 1588 and that's $200. Fifth not everything old is better, just ask my knees. That said there is alot more information needed before anyone can suggest this is a good deal.

23908_incubator_brooders_008.jpg
This is the one I have access to. No one on this forum had any information about it. It's non electric and if it could be made working would be great for someone wanting to live off the grid.

It's easy to spend other peoples money.

Rancher

Quote:
Yes sound like the wafer is bad. When they go bad , they don't shut off the heating coil. IF i remember right clockwise cooler , counterclockwise hotter...GREAT FIND....Heck I wouldn't take 4 new LG for that

So I switched out the wafer with a new one and it is definately expanding but does not seem to turn off the thermostat still straight up to 120 degrees turned all the way clockwise. I am wondering if the little switch is not working or if I somehow installed it wrong. It is really hard to get to where it is so I can't really see it very well but I am thinking about unscrewing the top and taking it off, I just don't want to damage anything. Anyone have this experience before? How did you fix it?

Back
Top Bottom