Montgomery Ward incubator should I buy it? PIC ADDED

joeyg4583

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Cedarburg, Wi
I found this old Montgomery Ward incubator. I guess it hasn't been used in 20 years but the last time it was used they changed the humidistat and wafer etc. Would you buy it for less than $100? I have been looking at the Brinsea eco 20, if it was you which would you buy. I am so torn.

incubator.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I would not buy it unless it worked and you think it's cheaper than a new one. Consider you can buy a new LG and turner for $90. Of course it will have no fan but I suspect the Monkey wards doesn't either. If you think it's worth $100, then go for it, but check out Incubator Warehouse first. If it won't have what you need then perhaps it's not worth the trouble it may be.

You got pics?

Wish you the best

Rancher
(I bought the Genesis 1588 with turner and therm/hygrometer for $183.)

Last edited:
I don't know if it has a fan or not? I have heard the redwood ones are good. I just don't know. Anyone have experience with this model?

I have the one about 1/2 that size. Mine works great. You have to hand turn. They hold heat much better than ANY sytrofoam bator. The wafer can be replaced if needed, and they hold humidity as well. I will be loading mine up in a few days, as my other two bators are full,, I set a bunch each saturday, and then move them to my sportsman hatcher to hatch. I will be rebuilding an old Des Monies wood bator this summer. It hold 300 eggs, and is currently heated with kerosene. I have all the parts, but will convert it to electric forced air. I did put a small fan in my wards bator, and it has worked well for me.Thier is something about using an old bator that is primal. Any one can hatch eggs with a state of the art new bator. But if you use one of these old relics, it is a whole new understanding of craftsmanship and skill that went into these.

yes they work great, but you do have to hand turn, Some are sold as table , just because how they look.

Oh I wouldn't even take a LG if it was free.......but would buy that one.......but I do collect incubators...have over 12 from 24 cap. to 3,000 cap.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would not buy it unless it worked and you think it's cheaper than a new one. Consider you can buy a new LG and turner for $90. Of course it will have no fan but I suspect the Monkey wards doesn't either. If you think it's worth $100, then go for it, but check out Incubator Warehouse first. If it won't have what you need then perhaps it's not worth the trouble it may be.

You got pics?

Wish you the best

Rancher

Are you kidding us....... really.......... your advising the OP to buy a LG over a clearly better incubator. Anway OP yes !!! it is well worth the $$ even if it doesn't work !!!!, parts are very cheap and they just don't make them that well anymore. I mean seriously a redwood incubator made at a time when the whole country was hatching egg's. No Styrofoam incubator on the market including the junky Chinese made LG can hold a candle to anything of this quality, the age of this unit is not an issue at all, nice find, nice piece, buy it now or regret it later.

AL

Last edited:
i'd figure some people would want to buy it to have it... if i was more into the hobby and had a ton of room, i would want it just to have it... so a bill isn't that bad... iif you're gonna make it work, even better...

Quote:

You got pics?

Wish you the best

Rancher

Are you kidding us....... really.......... your advising the OP to buy a LG over a clearly better incubator. Anway OP yes !!! it is well worth the $$ even if it doesn't work !!!!, parts are very cheap and they just don't make them that well anymore. I mean seriously a redwood incubator made at a time when the whole country was hatching egg's. No Styrofoam incubator on the market including the junky Chinese made LG can hold a candle to anything of this quality, the age of this unit is not an issue at all, nice find, nice piece, buy it now or regret it later.

AL

thumbsup.gif
X2

Back
Top Bottom