Month old Anconas look like they limp!

I'm new to ducks... But having fun with these I hatched. They are a month old now and are huge!!! They are out to play, and seems like their feet hurt... I'm worried!
Have you looked at the bottom of their feet checking for bruises or bumble foot? or could they maybe have a niacin dif. which can cause lameness and can be fixed by adding niacin to their diet in the form of plain niacin or brewers yeast. What are you feeding?

I have the game bird chick feed, it was the only non medicated. And it has high protein. I'll get yeast tomorrow. Their feet look fine! Ugh. Poor things! I don't want to do anything wrong!!!

If grown upas babies with a wire mesh that can severely hurt their feet. Soo if u didn't do that idk what is wrong! :welcome

When anything is not right with my ducks, I bring them in to a lukewarm tub of water. Gets the weight off their feet, and lets me look very closely at them to see how they move, if anything doesn't look or smell right, it is good for their circulation, too.

Can you check around to see if you can get an all flock feed for them, at 4 weeks they can move up from chick feed. and maybe cut the protein a bit by using whole oats or reg oatmeal. 90/10. and be sure to get Brewers yeast not baking yeast. Love to see some pics when you get time.
smile.png

They are on a textured plastic tray with papers down for absorbency. I don't see any cuts. I'm letting them into the living room playpen to "swim" once or twice a day now to soak/play/bathe. Mostly they bathe. It's about a duck sized bowl they take turns sitting/standing in. I'll look for the flock raiser and change over slowly. I couldn't find brewers yeast at my feed store. Going to another tomorrow to look.

They are on a textured plastic tray with papers down for absorbency. I don't see any cuts. I'm letting them into the living room playpen to "swim" once or twice a day now to soak/play/bathe. Mostly they bathe. It's about a duck sized bowl they take turns sitting/standing in. I'll look for the flock raiser and change over slowly. I couldn't find brewers yeast at my feed store. Going to another tomorrow to look.
They are absolutely adorable, now if you can't find BY try health food store can also be ordered on line. but you can get Plain Niacin at most drug stores but you have to ask for it most just keep the time released or flush free on the shelves you don't want either of them. just plain.

Back
Top Bottom