Month old chick got head stuck and won’t eat, drink, or stand in her own.

Vikkimeeks

Hatching
Jul 10, 2020
we found her last night with her little head stuck in the bars of my horse stall. We don’t know how many hours she was like that. She could walk last night although a bit wobbly. She immediately laid down and slept with the others. This morning she won’t eat, drink, or stand on her own. She has strength in both legs but she seems disoriented. Very wobbly and lays on her side. I have made a sling for her to sleep in and i have syringe fed her sugar water, chick feed mush, and she ate a tiny bit of scrambled egg. Only if i feed it to her though. She seems very sleepy. I have separated her from the others so she can rest.
any suggestions of other things i might try??
She does seem to want to eat out of the syringe a bit more after a few hours of me trying.

Attachments

• 9DC56510-F80A-46BB-98AE-978FC58E990E.jpeg
    9DC56510-F80A-46BB-98AE-978FC58E990E.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 11
Sorry about your chick. I would keep offering food and water often 3-4 times a day. Electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench may be helpful for a day or two. She may have become dehydrated or hurt herself trying to escape. Good nursing care may help her recover. Let us know how she gets along.

we found her last night with her little head stuck in the bars of my horse stall. We don’t know how many hours she was like that. She could walk last night although a bit wobbly. She immediately laid down and slept with the others. This morning she won’t eat, drink, or stand on her own. She has strength in both legs but she seems disoriented. Very wobbly and lays on her side. I have made a sling for her to sleep in and i have syringe fed her sugar water, chick feed mush, and she ate a tiny bit of scrambled egg. Only if i feed it to her though. She seems very sleepy. I have separated her from the others so she can rest.
any suggestions of other things i might try??
She does seem to want to eat out of the syringe a bit more after a few hours of me trying.
Sorry about your chick. I would keep offering food and water often 3-4 times a day. Electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench may be helpful for a day or two. She may have become dehydrated or hurt herself trying to escape. Good nursing care may help her recover. Let us know how she gets along.
im trying. I’m offering her sugar water every thirty minutes. I’m hoping she snaps out of it and walks soon. I’d hate to think she is suffering.

Attachments

• CE0E21A1-A396-4C00-9B5C-C25443E09D1E.jpeg
    CE0E21A1-A396-4C00-9B5C-C25443E09D1E.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 7
Poor thing. I would try to make her comfortable. Do you think that her head had pressure on it?
I’m sure she fought trying to get free. Her neck isn’t broken. She has started eating a mash i made for her so i think she might be improving!

Back
Top Bottom