Month old chick with dislocated leg

LeslieRowley

Chirping
May 6, 2020
hey all!

I had no luck with my Facebook group unfortunately, I usually have better luck here. I have a month old chick with a dislocated leg. I noticed something when she hatched (no it wasn't spray leg) and tried monitoring as best as I could and she seemed to do better after a couple days so I didn't worry too much. Today I noticed that she really drags her leg a bit & hobbled. She is perfectly healthy, not missing any meals nor getting picked on. Is there anything I can do for her ? She does have some motion in it & no visual deformities with the leg.

hey all!

I had no luck with my Facebook group unfortunately, I usually have better luck here. I have a month old chick with a dislocated leg. I noticed something when she hatched (no it wasn't spray leg) and tried monitoring as best as I could and she seemed to do better after a couple days so I didn't worry too much. Today I noticed that she really drags her leg a bit & hobbled. She is perfectly healthy, not missing any meals nor getting picked on. Is there anything I can do for her ? She does have some motion in it & no visual deformities with the leg.
Can you please post some photos of her and the leg?
A video of her walking/moving may be helpful as well - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?

Can you please post some photos of her and the leg?
A video of her walking/moving may be helpful as well - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?

Here is a pic, she doesn't typically have it laid out like that underneath her.

Attachments

• 20200716_115117.jpg
    20200716_115117.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 8
Have you tried taping like you do for splayed leg, to see if it would help maybe put it back in place or maybe use a swing a little to let it rest ? I had a little chick who had an issue with her hip, we think, but she had other things things going on to. But here is what I tried with swings attached.
20200609_172904.jpg
I made this one. & the other one was a sock I hung from a cup with tiny holes for her feet. Wishing you the best in hoping you can find what helps you baby.

hey all!

Looks like a leg bone deformity to me.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/All-about-VVD-disease-H268.aspx
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1790586/
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/en-c...arus deviation of,in turkeys than in chickens.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!! This looks spot on. I'm gonna keep looking more into it. I really appreciate your reply.
I'm very sorry about your chick, she's adorable.
Do some reading up on leg deformities. Sadly, the outcome for most is not positive. Sometimes a bird may learn to adapt and thrive - you never know. I hope you find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom