Moral Dilemma... Advice?

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
For the past two weeks there has been a Cockatoo flying around our neighborhood. Last weekend he was chased by a hawk and was luckily saved by some crows who ran it off. So this afternoon he was in our front tree. Thinking his owner lost him, I put some food out to try to lure him in so I could return him. He came right down and climbed on my shoulder. I brought him inside and played with him for a bit before my BF and I headed out to locate the owner. I had an idea of where they lived because I thought I heard someone calling him last weekend. Turns out I was at the wrong house but they live three doors down. The neighbor told me that the owner just lets the Cockatoo fly around outside and that he comes in their yards too. She also said something about how he was looking for a new home for the bird. Having owned smaller parrots in the past I know they don't do well in the cold and rain so it really bothers me that they let him outside loose to fly around in the dead of winter. In addition he's completely unprotected from predators and he's all dirty. I have him in my house right now and I'm torn as to what to do. I just feel like it's a matter of time before he is killed or dies of exposure if they let him out like that in this weather. I really don't want to return him but is that the right thing to do? If we don't return him my boyfriend has already nixed the idea of keeping him so I would have to find him a new home but I am totally willing to do that if it's in the best interest of the bird.

Any advice?

Well if they're looking for a new home for the cockatoo and they're bad owners... I would take it to the RSPCA no kill shelters. They tend not to kill handtame cockatoos anyway and those things go like lightning! (Put it this way, if one was available right this moment I'd get it!!!!) The RSPCA has a code about trying to find the owner for 3-7 days or something like that and if they don't find it - whoops, off to the new owner it goes!! Or call the city council and ask them about bird rehoming. Don't tell them you know who the owner is because they clearly mistreat it. NO handtame parrot should be free EVER (of course though a cockatoo here would most probably be wild, hahah). Especially in winter. My birds have leashes for going outside. Give the owner a chance to try to find his bird using legal resources but if he doesn't care enough to do so, the bird will go to a nice home - and I'm guessing he doesn't care enough to do so.

Last edited:
Ok thank you, that is my instinct too. It's just SO irresponsible of the owner, he doesn't deserve such a sweet little bird. I figured out he's a Goffin cockatoo and he's definitely a tame bird. He's very sweet and has been cuddling with me ever since he came inside. He sure can be a loud little bugger though! LOL. I'll be contacting some rescues after christmas, in the meantime he's either going to be living in my bathroom or I'll grab my old cockatiel cage from my parent's house... It's pretty large but I'm not positive he will really fit in it.

You shouldn't keep the Cockatoo--------send him to me! I've had parrots before, but could never afford a Cockatoo. I was in a pet shop once and the Cockatoo walked onto my shoulder and didn't want to go back to his stand in the store.

When rehoming the bird get a signed contract so this does not happen again and state this situation in it and if they can't keep it for any reason it comes back to you. I would advertise for free only w/contract. People want free but don't want the contract but in this case it is necessary so the bird has a stable safe home for the rest of his/her life. I don't like contracts when I am paying for something but I do understand them and can except them when someone is rehoming/free etc.

Picture would be nice
wink.png

Good luck!

There was a similar thread on here recently. I read through two pages of posts before anyone pointed out the obvious, that you know who the owner is so anything but returning it is stealing.

You can offer to keep the bird, you can suggest a no kill shelter or other home for him, you can contact an animal welfare group and report him, you can say anything you want to the owner, but there is no moral dilemma.

Why is taking the stray bird to the pound (despite knowing the owner) any different from taking a stray dog or cat to the pound when you know who the owner is? When dogs and cats are running free and the owners won't take responsibility and keep them under control and in the house it is perfectly appropriate to take the animal to a rescue or pound. The other option is SSS for most on here. If someone's bird is flying free and the owner is knowingly allowing it to do so despite it becoming a pest in the neighborhood, why not take it to the pound? Not trying to start a war here. Just don't understand why it is different.

Quote:
I have to agree.

That other thread was LauraJean and a chicken ddawn
wink.png

ETA: LauraJean returned the bird and the owner let her have her after understanding LJ's concerns. The chicken is now living a happy life in the coop with LJ's others. Returning the bird turned out for the best in that situation. I really hope that is how this goes as well. I couldn't sleep knowing I had taken someone else's pet away from them without talking directly to them about the condition the animal was living in. This could insure that the owner gets a better understanding of how to maintain their bird to begin with. Some people are ignorant of the needs of animals when they buy them, then others get upset at their treatment, but don't try to offer them any knowledge or help to create a better home for the animal. If nothing is said, how do we know the guy won't just go get another and treat it the same way, then there is a pontential for perpetual capture and rehoming of his birds throughout the neighborhood. I'd talk directly to the owner, offer friendly advice, and ask if he wants to rehome the bird, then you could take on that task for him if that is what he wishes to do. Everybody makes mistakes, but nobody deserves to have their pet disappear without a trace. That is just my opinion of the right thing to do. It usually turns out well. If the owner takes the bird back, then does not care, and continues to let the bird out, THEN call animal control, but I'd give the owner a chance to make things right first.

Last edited:
Why don't you call animal control and tell them you think you know who the owners are and you don't approve of how they treat their pet and it is loose and you want to do what is right for both parties; bird and owner. They can tell you if there is any law against allowing an exotic bird to roam free. I do see your dilemma because the urge to help the bird conflicts with the rightful ownership of it. So it may be ethically wrong to do anything but return it to the owner but it may be the morally right thing to help the bird to a better life, however that is a better life as defined by you. The bird itself is probably way happier being free than being a caged bird. All in all I would take it to the owner and if the bird continues to visit, nothing says you can't feed it.
Nixing boyfriends are a whole other dilemma.
wink.png

Well then op call the cops/sherrif and say what you know and they should put a stop too it then.

I think the OP should do what you feels is in the best interest of the bird and I see it being abused/neglected to fight in the wild when it is a domesticated bird a pet.

I know if I had a pet animal of any kind and I was that concerned about where it was not one person would have a hold of my animal. Be responsible pet owner period.

Back
Top Bottom