Moral Dilemma... Advice?

I would talk to the owners, just so you have the information first hand and not some second hand info. from someone else. The bird escaped from you when you were trying to contain it, so there's a decent chance it may have escaped from it's original home the same way while they had it out of the cage. If that were the case, they'll be worried and thrilled to have a chance to get it back. If they tell you that they do leave it outside on purpose, or that they turned it loose because they didn't want it any longer then that's another story and you'll know that it does need protection from the elements and you can go from there, either buying a cage yourself or turning it in to the animal control shelter for it to be adopted to a great home.

Quick update: I went to talk to the owners after he showed back up at our house. They wanted him back so I took him over there and then we left for Christmas dinner. When we returned I ran into my neighbor who said the cockatoo was back on our roof above our front door for most of the afternoon which means I gave him back and they immediately let him out... In a wind and rain storm. Based on that, plus the fact that their house and yard were absolutely filthy, I'm VERY relucatant to return him again so i probably won't if he comes back. I don't know whether or not we'll keep him, I'm thinking the proper way to go will be what a couple of people suggested... We'll call animal control and let them know that if the owner's don't come forward that we would like to adopt him. While I hate at this point to even give them the opportunity, I think this would be the most honest way to go rather than just taking the bird outright. I really don't think they'll claim him either since they really didn't seem concerned that he had been gone for almost two days.

Last edited:
Being that they turned him out again I would rehome him and if they ask then you know anything about it. They obviously don't care about him. I have two cockatoos and would never allow them to fly free. I keep mine clipped because one of my macaws got away once and flew into a neighbors carport and cut his head... thankfully he is ok and I was able to retrieve him he would have not made it here. I would love to take this bird in all of mine are rescus and part of our family. Good luck with your little problem.

I would be interested in him if your boyfriend protests.

I LOVE birds. I had a grey cheek parot when I was dating my ex. Noah didn't like my ex, so I rehomed him. (should have rehomed and never married an animal hater)

Happily single for 12 yrs now and loving all my critters. No empty nest at my place.

I have a large flight cage with a lonely young lovebird.

How would you like it if your pet got out and someone else kept it? Maybe that bird is a escape artist, who knows. I suggest call animal control, they are the experts not you or I. You are judging these people based on the condition of their house, what your neighbor said and the bird being out. How about going straight to the horses mouth and voice your concerns instead of asking if they want to keep the bird. Tell them AC will/has been notified. Next thing you know a neighbor will tell them you have the bird and the cops are knocking at your door.

And another thing, does your neighbor watch your house all day? She has to if she knows how long he has been on your roof.

Quote:
I guess you missed the part where the op posted an update that did talk to the owners and gave him back!!!

I read where OP asked if owner wanted it back. Regardless its not the OP's responsibility to say who can keep what according to second hand knowledge from a neighbor. I agree the bird needs to be kept indoors BUT AC needs to be called .I'm reading posts where other people are saying they want the bird if the OP doesn't keep it. It's not the OPs decision.

How would you like it if your neighbor gave away your dog cause she thought your house was dirty and your dog was outside?

jettgirl,

I think you have done all you are morally responsible for. At this point if the bird comes back and moves in with you, I would consider it yours. I don't have the knowlege to speak to the legalities.
Right now I have a cat crying at my feet. It really belongs to a neighbor, but a couple years ago it started showing up at my back door begging for food. Eventually found out it belonged to a neighbor, they took it back in and as soon as it could get out, it came back to my house. They send their son over with it's vet records. We still share info on Sasha/Bug.
Last fall I had a parakeet show up in my chicken run. I spent a few weeks searching the bulletin boards at all the local store and vet clinics, never did find it's owners and decided to keep it. I did not feel it was my responsibility to go door to door, or pay for ads. It is the original owner's responsibility to at least look for it.
At this point I think it is up to you to decide what you want to do with it.
keep giving it back
shoo it away
ignore it
rehome
keep it
call animal control

Imp- keep in mind that they are predicting snow this Wednesday in Seattle. I don't think a cage bird would survive long term outside here.

Quote:
Well I posted that I want the bird but that is not realistic... agreed AC needs to be called but there is no way id send the bird back to the so called owners. People who keep pets have an obligation to provide for their needs and they are clearly not providing. Also animals that are not native should never be released into the wild people who do this are messing it up for other pet lovers who are responsible.

Back
Top Bottom