Moral Dilemma... Advice?

Hi Screager, I don't think you read my update post at all or maybe you missed several parts of it. I went to the owners and asked if they wanted the bird back. They did, so I returned it. They immediately turned around and let him back out within hours of my returning him. Not only that but they let him out in a wind and rain storm. They told me straight up that they let him out so it's not second hand information at this point, it came straight out of the owner's mouth. Unfortunately I wasn't home so I wasn't here to retrieve him again when htey let him back out. I can only hope he made it back to the owner's house safely before dark and before the worst part of the wind storm. As I also said in my post, if the bird comes back I will once again catch him and will be calling animal control. This time I will not be taking the bird back to the owners, I will surrender the bird straight to animal control. If the owners fail to contact animal control to retrieve him I will adopt him. If they do claim the bird I will continue to call animal control every time the bird is loose. I feel this is the best route to take as it gives them an opportunity to make the situation right. If they fail to make it right they will have shown that they are unfit to care for he bird.

Oh and my dog would never go to the neighbors because I am responsible and keep mine put up. If a stray wanders into my place one warning is given and after that if there is a repeat the dog won't leave my place the same way it entered. just the facts its an understanding here in west Texas

Does the OP have any proof the owner let's this bird out on purpose? Im not talking about 2nd hand knowledge from a nosey neighbor. For all we know the bird is escaping from a doggie door and the owner is looking for the bird.

In any event AC needs to be involved.

Thank you on deciding to do the right thing. Try adopting the bird and you have no worries from the owner. Please disregard my previous post, I wrote it before reading your response above.

Happy Holidays

Thank you on deciding to do the right thing. Try adopting the bird and you have no worries from the owner. Please disregard my previous post, I wrote it before reading your response above.

Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays

I had a new neighbor when I lived in a cul-d-sac that let their little shihtzu run loose claiming her 2 or 4 yr old would let it out.

They found it's remains left my coons or coyote down by retention pond. They went out and got another little puppy. This time a little Pom. You guest it, that little thing was always out as well. If I didn't already have 3 dogs, I would have considered taking it in.

Several other neighbors wanted to do the same. It disapeared and no one knows what happened.

The OP posted as a moral dilemma because she is uncertain what to do. This is like a case of witnessing abuse and or neglect where most folks don't want to get involved saying to themselves it's not THEIR problem.

It is in my mind neglect to have a bird that is getting out of the house and not clipping the wings. Question is - why is it wanting out of the house?
Needs more social interaction and it's getting it from the crows?
No food/water?
Preditor in the house?

I thank the OP for being concerned enough to want to help get the bird out of a possible harmful situation.

My daughter reported abuse to duplex neighbor's dogs. Several times over a 2 month period. She was hearing abuse, witnessing abuse when they walked the dogs, saw the one dog very very thin.

Animal Control in Olympia told her she needed to get pictures for them to get a warrant from the judge because the neighbors weren't home or wouldn't answer the door.

Neighbors then put a Christmas sweater on the thin dog. My daughter got a pic anyway.

AC finally got a warrant. Discovered the dog with the Christmas sweater (small lab mix) had ribs and hips showing. Scars and old wounds. The pom had a wire wrapped around it's mouth that had cut into it's jaw.

The couple went missing after dogs were seized. Had a warrant for their arrest.

I went on Facebook and sent the King 5 news link and The Olympian news article to most of their friends on Facebook. They turned themselves in 1 week later. Convicted of 2nd degree animal crulty (not first degree because they couldn't prove who did the abuse - boyfriend or girl friend).

Found the King 5 News story here: http://www.king5.com/news/pets-and-animals/Couple-accused-of-muzzling-dogs-mouth-with-wire-94642589.html

This
is what the officer said about my daughter: According to investigators, the suspects' neighbors feared retribution, but they still followed their conscience and saved the dogs lives. Officer Quinn encourages others to get involved.

My daughter's car was keyed and screens broken out of duplex windows, items stolen out of shared storage area.

next time (and ive no doubt there will be a next time because toos will return to anyplace they get the attention they badly crave and he now knows you also offer food) take the bird to a shelter or bird rescue...

anyone willingly letting their parrot fly around outside unsupervised especially in the winter is not an owner i would ever return an animal to.
its no better than someone letting their dog wander *grumbles*
and any too other than a molucan is definatly small enough to become hawk food.

im sorry your going through this, and im sorry that poor bird is in that situation, toos are like 2 yr olds, they dont know any better.

Well, you did the right thing by returning it and either it escaped again or they let it out again almost immediately, so I'm 100% behind you taking it to the pound. Put your name down as wanting to adopt it if it's not claimed (if you still want it) and go from there. Good luck and thanks for looking out for the little guy/gal!

Back
Top Bottom