More broody girls!

nine9d

Songster
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Beacon, N.Y.
So, I have 2 hens that are laying on some fertile eggs right now that I bought. I now ALSO have 2 other hens that are now broody as well. Would it be o.k. if I took some eggs out from under my original broodies to give to the others to hatch even though they are mid-way through? Thank you.

So, I have 2 hens that are laying on some fertile eggs right now that I bought. I now ALSO have 2 other hens that are now broody as well. Would it be o.k. if I took some eggs out from under my original broodies to give to the others to hatch even though they are mid-way through? Thank you.
I wouldn't.
I would leave the eggs with the original mothers and discourage the more recent broodies.

I wouldn't either - Broody hens go through a whole process and expect their chicks to hatch between day 19 and day 21. If the hens from the 2nd set of broodies had eggs hatch too early, that could spell very bad news for the chicks underneath her as she might not yet be receptive to chicks. So if you're not going to break any of the broodies, I would get fresh eggs for the 2nd wave.

Back
Top Bottom