more nervous about chicks than children

alaskalife

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
Hi! I have been having the hardest time. I have had more anxiety with worrying about our baby chicks than birthing/raising 4 children!!! For some reason the heat lamp gives me extreme anxiety reading horror stories online. I know i can’t afford to purchase anything else. I feel like i have a good set up going. 50 gallon tote. Heat lamp clamped and tied to an industrial shelf in heated 70* garage. We have 8 little 2 week old sweeties. 4 buffs 4 wyanndotte. I feel like I’m not qualified enough :/as silly as that sounds but it just hit me. They could get sick. They could get hurt. What if it’s to cold in the winter. What if they fly out of the tub in the garage. What if i don’t pick the right food. protein, probiotics, vitamins, grit, shells ..I thought they only needed some simple food..And oh my gosh..What if they don’t like me. Like I’m up at night going on and on in my head. clearly I’ve never had chickens. And really we’ve only ever had a pet cat. I am the person who goes 100% all in and attached. I love these little chicks. I just am so worried i will fail them. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I don’t really have a chicken person i can go to with questions. I got a book i read cover to cover in a day haha. I just want to be a good chicken lady! anyhow i guess i should ask a real question. When can i move my babies to the coop? Here in Alaska on a lucky day high 50* low 40* at night. It should warm up by the end of May. Will they last that long in the tote? Will 6 weeks be to young?

Have you looked into a Momma Heating Pad? You can make one out of a human heating pad (provided you have a model that stays on 24/7 and doesn't automatically turn off 2 hrs or whatever). There are as many versions as there are people who make them. Search on MHP or Momma Heating Pad. There are many threads on the subject, and one huuuuuge one.

Here's my version: I tucked the pad into an old pillowcase. Then I took 2 racks like they kind you put on the inside of your kitchen cabinet for foil, saran wrap etc. I bent them both so there would be a low side. Then I ziptied them together with the pad in between, and covered the whole deal with an ugly hand towel. No more heating lamps!
Underside of mhp.jpg
MHP setup Chicks warming their backs.jpg

Side view mhp.jpg
Side view mhp.jpg

Your chicks are two weeks old so your off to a good start. :clap
I too stressed over heat lamps but thankfully never had a mishap with one. I quickly discarded the huge 250 watt bulb when preparing my first indoor brooder. Way too much heat for my needs. Just be sure to check the temp or listen to your chicks and raise your lamp as they grow. You will need to think about a covering for your tote soon as your chicks will soon start to attempt to fly up. I brood in multiple totes and have cut away all but the outer rim of the tote lid and bolted hardware cloth to it to keep the chicks safely inside. It makes opening and closing fast and easy but you could also place the wire on top and clip or just weight it with something. I've not required higher than a 75 watt heat lamp over those. Typically I could get by with a 25-40 watt incandescent bulb inside.
Since January I have been moving my chicks out to an insulated shed with heat set at 45 degrees when they are 3-4 weeks old with a heat plate that provides heat similar to that of the MHP. Without a heat source, you'll want to make sure the chicks are fully feathered so closer to the 6 wk mark.
Consider cardboard boxes when the tote is outgrown. I used to brood in them when I only raised 1 or 2 batches of chicks a season. As more space was required I would just cut away a portion of the side and tape another box on. It's a cheap and effective solution.
If you feed a decent commercial feed designed for chickens, it should contain everything your birds require so very little supplementing will be needed. Plenty of time to read up on that as they grow.
Good luck

Oh honey, don't stress so much. You would be surprised at the strength and ability of little chicks to survive and thrive! If they were with Mama Hen, she would be taking them outside in the cold from day one! My brooder is outside and I use a heat lamp out there. When my chicks were 3 weeks I put them in the run with my other chicks that were 8 weeks and 6 weeks old. They all get along fine. My 4 week old chicks still the need the lamp at night, but only at night. They are not fully feathered yet. It's hanging in the run and they sleep under it. The rest of the time they run around eating, play fighting, trying to fly and just being chickens. If you give them lots of water, chick starter, a few dried mealworms, and a piece of lettuce they will be fine. Do put them outside on the ground as soon as you can, always go for what would be natural for them. You can do it and you are doing it! Pat yourself on the back, try not to stress! Have a glass of wine! :hugs

maggie and 11 day old chicks.jpg chicks in the brooder.jpg all ages together.jpg

Oh honey, don't stress so much. You would be surprised at the strength and ability of little chicks to survive and thrive! If they were with Mama Hen, she would be taking them outside in the cold from day one! My brooder is outside and I use a heat lamp out there. When my chicks were 3 weeks I put them in the run with my other chicks that were 8 weeks and 6 weeks old. They all get along fine. My 4 week old chicks still the need the lamp at night, but only at night. They are not fully feathered yet. It's hanging in the run and they sleep under it. The rest of the time they run around eating, play fighting, trying to fly and just being chickens. If you give them lots of water, chick starter, a few dried mealworms, and a piece of lettuce they will be fine. Do put them outside on the ground as soon as you can, always go for what would be natural for them. You can do it and you are doing it! Pat yourself on the back, try not to stress! Have a glass of wine! :hugs

View attachment 1758078 View attachment 1758080 View attachment 1758084
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I am feeling much better with the whole situation

Your chicks are two weeks old so your off to a good start. :clap
I too stressed over heat lamps but thankfully never had a mishap with one. I quickly discarded the huge 250 watt bulb when preparing my first indoor brooder. Way too much heat for my needs. Just be sure to check the temp or listen to your chicks and raise your lamp as they grow. You will need to think about a covering for your tote soon as your chicks will soon start to attempt to fly up. I brood in multiple totes and have cut away all but the outer rim of the tote lid and bolted hardware cloth to it to keep the chicks safely inside. It makes opening and closing fast and easy but you could also place the wire on top and clip or just weight it with something. I've not required higher than a 75 watt heat lamp over those. Typically I could get by with a 25-40 watt incandescent bulb inside.
Since January I have been moving my chicks out to an insulated shed with heat set at 45 degrees when they are 3-4 weeks old with a heat plate that provides heat similar to that of the MHP. Without a heat source, you'll want to make sure the chicks are fully feathered so closer to the 6 wk mark.
Consider cardboard boxes when the tote is outgrown. I used to brood in them when I only raised 1 or 2 batches of chicks a season. As more space was required I would just cut away a portion of the side and tape another box on. It's a cheap and effective solution.
If you feed a decent commercial feed designed for chickens, it should contain everything your birds require so very little supplementing will be needed. Plenty of time to read up on that as they grow.
Good luck
Thank you. I am looking into something today to go on top. I was also considering one of the playyard things i saw the feed store. Space isn’t an problem or anything. I’m curious when i can turn off the heat lamp. My garage Is heated it’s currently 72* right now. I have the lamp pretty high up the shelf clamped. it’s 80* on the warm side of the tote.

Have you looked into a Momma Heating Pad? You can make one out of a human heating pad (provided you have a model that stays on 24/7 and doesn't automatically turn off 2 hrs or whatever). There are as many versions as there are people who make them. Search on MHP or Momma Heating Pad. There are many threads on the subject, and one huuuuuge one.

Here's my version: I tucked the pad into an old pillowcase. Then I took 2 racks like they kind you put on the inside of your kitchen cabinet for foil, saran wrap etc. I bent them both so there would be a low side. Then I ziptied them together with the pad in between, and covered the whole deal with an ugly hand towel. No more heating lamps!
View attachment 1757767 View attachment 1757766
View attachment 1757768 View attachment 1757768
Would the extension cord be exposed to the chicks? That’s a great idea!

Thank you. I am looking into something today to go on top. I was also considering one of the playyard things i saw the feed store. Space isn’t an problem or anything. I’m curious when i can turn off the heat lamp. My garage Is heated it’s currently 72* right now. I have the lamp pretty high up the shelf clamped. it’s 80* on the warm side of the tote.

Even in heated garage l would not try taking heat away for at least another 2 weeks. Since I don't usually brood older birds indoors, I provide heat for 6 wks at a minimum.
Remember the heat starts at 90 and can be lowered 5 degrees each week. With lamps I switch to lower wattage incandescent bulbs instead of the raising or lowering. Less stress for me over lamp safety.
One of the best ways to tell if your chicks are warm and comfortable is to watch and listen to them. If they huddle tightly and peep loudly in distress they are cold.

We have been using a puppy pen for ours. It works great! We've had one or two fly out but they stick close to their sisters. My Ws are my faves. They've been eating out of my hand since day3. It's fun to feed them even if it's their chick feed!

Back
Top Bottom