More photos but a bunny this time..

dbolman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 15, 2009
Holland, Mi
big_smile.png
So when I went to the SWAP, there was a lady that shows bunnies. I told my girls i don't need a rabbit for crying out loud. Even the cutest fluffiest little bunny is not coming home with me. Well then their Grandpa showed up (my dad) and asked if he could buy it for them.
barnie.gif
Jeesh what am I suppose to say to that? So here's Marshmallow!
ya.gif

Tracy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41224_school_photo_byc_003.jpg

Ruby Eyed White Netherland Dwarf... word of caution.. if you have small children and she's (the bunny) is still young (less than 4 months old) BE VERY CAREFUL. as Netherlands reach sexual maturity the females are KNOWN for their agressive behavior and will ATTACK anything that moves... I raise ND and I have managed to breed that out of my herd IF I get one.. It goes BYE BYE!!

She is adorable and I LOVE that head on her
smile.png
She'd make a nice show bunny....

Ruby Eyed White Netherland Dwarf... word of caution.. if you have small children and she's (the bunny) is still young (less than 4 months old) BE VERY CAREFUL. as Netherlands reach sexual maturity the females are KNOWN for their agressive behavior and will ATTACK anything that moves... I raise ND and I have managed to breed that out of my herd IF I get one.. It goes BYE BYE!!

She is adorable and I LOVE that head on her She'd make a nice show bunny....

we've never had this problem with ND... We have 4..2 does, 2 bucks....
But with that said...any animal with small children is scary.

I always tell people that if you want your child to be a part of the animal. they should set up a gated circle, have an adult put the animal in there and have the child already in there, on the grass, or on the floor and not to pick them up, just pet them.... and work from there.

Melinda

forgot to say....cute,cute,cute lil bunny....
bun.gif

Last edited:
My comment is based on my experience here in IL and my barn. I have had several with vicious temperments and would actually jump outta the cage to attack you... needless to say.. she did not say here... I know many that have great tempered NDs and thanks to good breeding.. I have seen more and more... I now have 2 great tempered little NDs that are due in Nov and I am so excited... But the word of caution is there due to getting the rabbit at a swap and not really knowing the breeding conditions, the breeder or the reason they were getting rid of her. She looks to be a great little rabbit in looks I do not know her personality... It's always better to err on the side of caution then to go with the flow especially when it comes to animals and children.

I love my NDs to death and would love to see some go as pets BUT until I know how their personalities are going to be, they stay here until 4 months of age. If it's for breeding... I usually wait a little longer 5 months or so, before offering them. Now, I do have some that want them earlier but they get a BIG warning that because they are taking them before their true personality comes out I can not guarentee they will have a docile temperment. Most of mine do mainly because of the parents I have...

I do agree.. she is a great looking rabbit.. I absoultely
love.gif
that head and ear on her... great looking critter
smile.png

I've been bitten by more Netherlands than any other breed. I don't even own Netherlands.

Having said that, the OP's rabbit looks to be a Lionhead. I've also seen plenty of aggressive, bitey Lionheads.

To The Rescue!! Before you all get negative and scare the bejeezas out of future bun people.......Most of the dwarf rabbits are wonderful! I've had tons of rescues and have to say that spaying them makes a huge difference in their personality.

In all of the netherlands and dwarf buns that passed through here,
very few were "forever" nippy. It would take some longer than others to trust but most eventually did. Again they were all spayed and neutered as soon as they came in.

I even had some that had been treated very badly but they came around too and that's not to say that the bunny people on here haven't had bad experiences but then they are not dealing with fixed buns so that may very well be the problem along with bad breeding in some of the worse case scenerios of course.

Back
Top Bottom