More poop questions (pic)

Barredhen

Songster
6 Years
May 3, 2015
Michigan
I have a couple of hens who have a lot of watery poop (no photo but it's just very liquid) And sometimes there is this yellow or greenish goop as in this photo.

They were fecal tested neg worms and very low cocci (like, a few)

Those with the watery/have poop stuck to their feathers, wet butts as hen in photo or now bald butts.

I haven't been able to clear it up in butt washing, probiotics treating, ACV and yogurt feeding, feed changing efforts...
My vets will NOT do anything more than a fecal test.

Anything you'd suggest to try as a shot in the dark? It's been, 2 probably 3 months or more?

EDIT TO ADD: we did have one with diarrhea die, and right after the fecal tests I added some garlic to their diet and saw round worms in their poop (just a couple) but wondered how accurate the test could have been!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
@casportpony Where is your garlic vet paper?
This one?
Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., D.A.B.V.P. wrote this regarding onions, leeks, garlic, and chives:

"Allicin, which gives garlic its odor, is also a strong oxidant. In rare cases, this chemical can be dangerous and can cause Heinz body hemolytic anemia, as well."

"Although I have not seen any scientific studies performed on any avian species, there is the chance that disulfides could also cause this Heinz body hemolytic anemia in birds. For that reason, I feel that is unnecessary and potentially dangerous to feed onions, leeks, garlic or chives, as they don't contain any nutrients that are vital for the health of our pet bird. Why take the risk?"

Source:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/onions.html

They were eating Kalmbach layer crumbles which I've always been pleased with, but recently switched to Neutrena layer crumbles just to see..

Over the course of the months I have tried plain water.
I have stopped the extras. They're currently trying yogurt and garlic again, though.

They lay 3-6 eggs a day per 8 (3yr) birds.

I think bellies feel normal. What would I be looking for?

They were eating Kalmbach layer crumbles which I've always been pleased with, but recently switched to Neutrena layer crumbles just to see..

Over the course of the months I have tried plain water.
I have stopped the extras. They're currently trying yogurt and garlic again, though.

They lay 3-6 eggs a day per 8 (3yr) birds.

I think bellies feel normal. What would I be looking for?
For swelling in the belly area.
OR hard firm bellies.

Garlic is not good for birds, stop using it.

What do you feed them?
Have you tried stopping all the "extras" and use plain water yet?

Are they laying eggs well?
How does their belly area feel?

Back
Top Bottom