More than half candle clear - contact seller?

Clearly

Chirping
Feb 18, 2015
Seattle Suburb
I assumed at most maybe a third would clear candle, because, being realistic, who can watch their rooster every second to be sure he's doing his job.

But of 28 eggs purchased, 12 are very healthy, 16 are starkly clear.

What have you guys done? Is this something I should contact the seller about? Should I ask for replacements, or let it slide, knowing this would happen on a few.

Just surprised about the high ratio. I'd expect that with my own eggs, but not ones I've purchased.

Thoughts?

Edit to add: shipped eggs, I candled today (day 7) and according to pictures, these candle as though they are infertile.

Last edited:
I personally would contact the seller. I would hope if any I've sold were more clear than fertile that buyers would let me know. There maybe something I was doing wrong in my flock that I could change.

Last edited:
These were shipped eggs.

And I'll add that I have NEVER seen such beautiful packaging. These were wrapped for a faberge egg! (And should be, considering they were very expensive-lol)

Did you do an eggtopsy? Before assuming that they were infertile, that would be the first step. I don't know if the germinal discs would still be visible after 21 days of incubation. If you get 12 chicks out of 28 shipped eggs, that would be a reasonable hatch, I think. You might want to read some threads to see what hatching percentages other folks are getting from shipped eggs.

Shipped eggs often have horrible hatch rates and the responsibility has nothing to do with either fertility even though the packaging often prevents breakage very well. However, the mechanized handling and shipping itself is brutal on the eggs. This is the risk that both the seller and the buyer take and must take into consideration.

Thank you for the response. I have not done an eggtopsy because this is only day seven, so I've put them back into the incubator in case the growth is just slow. I'm getting opinions in advance though, I guess, since I plan to wait through the weekend before chucking them, just in case. I don't want infertile eggs in there through the full 21 to stem off potential problems. But really, there is a massive difference between the 12 and the 16 clear eggs. It's very obvious, I just like to hold out hope. :)

Yes, 12 hatching of 28 seems reasonable. I've prepared my head for far less. I suppose I'm more asking if it's common for more than half of hatching eggs to be infertile. 57%. That just seems crazy high!

@Fred's Hens (and others)

Would eggs damaged in shipping that were fertile to begin with candle clear? I was under the assumption that the cells would grow and then die on any that were damaged. (Ie, I'd see the dreaded blood ring or something)

Thanks for the responses. :)

Last edited:
Would eggs damaged in shipping that were fertile to begin with candle clear?

Yes, that has been my experience. Some clear. Some quitters, some embryo death.
Can you tell that shipped eggs have caused me much consternation?

Some shipped eggs, from the same breeding pen and shipped in identical packaging, have produced highs of 70% hatch rates and as low as 10%. Shipping eggs is a like drawing to an inside straight or playing the lottery. You never know what has happened to them during shipping.

Would eggs damaged in shipping that were fertile to begin with candle clear? 

Yes, that has been my experience.  Some clear.  Some quitters, some embryo death.  
Can you tell that shipped eggs have caused me much consternation?

Some shipped eggs, from the same breeding pen and shipped in identical packaging, have produced highs of 70% hatch rates and as low as 10%.  Shipping eggs is a like drawing to an inside straight or playing the lottery.  You never know what has happened to them during shipping.   

I like you, Fred! I laughed out loud when I read this post, bringing a little macabre joy to the frustration!

This seller wants to hear how they do in the end, so when this month is up I'll have a full report for him. He's a hobbyist, not a mass producer. I don't expect anything, no refunds or replacements. Glad to know this is more normal. I expected a very low hatch rate (still do) due to shipping. I was just surprised in this very first candling to see egg after egg completely clear.

Though there were also squeals of joy over the 12, so that makes up for it.

Thank you very much, peeps!

Back
Top Bottom