More than just birds in the yard

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Blisschick, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    [​IMG]

It got kind of tall, and then a month or so back, the wind from a storm blew it over. I've just been too lazy to pull the branches back up, and the darned turkeys were picking the buds off, so I left it alone. We got a good rainstorm last week that re-invigorated it and it exploded tonight! The scent is divine! It's never bloomed this well for me. I think moving it there gave the sneaky roots out the bottom of the pot some chicken pen run-off.

As long as my turkeys quit picking the buds off, my brugmansia has a chance.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Wow, looks like a Datura on steroids (same family?) Very nice. Our turkey hen worked over the all the budding hazelnuts she could reach before she went broody.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't that highly hallucinogenic? Are your tukeys trippin'??

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thats very nice! I have never seen anything like it. Yeah Im a Yankee [​IMG]

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Umm, what is it? Looks good, glad it smells good!

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Some call it Angel's Trumpet or Moon Flower, but I think its called, properly, brugmansia? Very invasive plant that has a very wide seed distribution. A member of the Nightshade family. Its like a kudzu for some farmers in OH and WV, can't get rid of it! Does smell heavenly in the evening, though!

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Runt and Silver are going to have a great time trying to eat that plant.
    [​IMG]

Are ya ready for the little monsters?

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    It's a Brugmansia, related to Datura. Brugmansia are perennials that make a tree or shrub and have hanging flowers (Angel's Trumpet), Datura are annuals and have flowers that look skyward (Devil's Trumpet), make lots of seed, and yes, the wild forms are invasive. Brugs will die back to the ground here where I am, but will come back and reach up to 20 ft. by the time they freeze again. If my turkeys were trippin', I never noticed. They're always trippin' naturally, so I wouldn't have been able to tell. [​IMG]

PC, the little guys could've hid under it all, but I had to pull it up with some jute to keep from running over it with the mower. My cat kept trying to use it for a jungle.

When are you thinking about sending the little ankle biter over? Runt is sorely needed. Miss Cuckoo has finally started laying!

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:That is Datura

I love them. You can cut the seed pods off before they open up to help cut down on wide distribution. I also cut the pods off, broke them open and threw them in a bare ugly spot. Now its full of plants, I just pluck them as they grow to thin out. They are very pretty.

Alot of plants/weeds are considered invasive to some. I have a patch of Soap Wort that I love. It attracts lots of butterflies and the pink/white flowers are pretty. Usually this plant grows along streams, creeks, etc and is considered a weed to some.

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    The Datura that you find at the nursery, the "Ballerina" Series, aren't invasive, although they do make tons of seeds. The wild ones tend to have some super prickly-stickery seed pods, but the cultivated variety (Datura metel) has smooth seed pods. I cut the off too, because it just encourages the bush to make more flowers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by