More than just birds in the yard

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
Brug_8_08.jpg

It got kind of tall, and then a month or so back, the wind from a storm blew it over. I've just been too lazy to pull the branches back up, and the darned turkeys were picking the buds off, so I left it alone. We got a good rainstorm last week that re-invigorated it and it exploded tonight! The scent is divine! It's never bloomed this well for me. I think moving it there gave the sneaky roots out the bottom of the pot some chicken pen run-off.

As long as my turkeys quit picking the buds off, my brugmansia has a chance.

Wow, looks like a Datura on steroids (same family?) Very nice. Our turkey hen worked over the all the budding hazelnuts she could reach before she went broody.

Last edited:
Some call it Angel's Trumpet or Moon Flower, but I think its called, properly, brugmansia? Very invasive plant that has a very wide seed distribution. A member of the Nightshade family. Its like a kudzu for some farmers in OH and WV, can't get rid of it! Does smell heavenly in the evening, though!

It's a Brugmansia, related to Datura. Brugmansia are perennials that make a tree or shrub and have hanging flowers (Angel's Trumpet), Datura are annuals and have flowers that look skyward (Devil's Trumpet), make lots of seed, and yes, the wild forms are invasive. Brugs will die back to the ground here where I am, but will come back and reach up to 20 ft. by the time they freeze again. If my turkeys were trippin', I never noticed. They're always trippin' naturally, so I wouldn't have been able to tell.
roll.png

PC, the little guys could've hid under it all, but I had to pull it up with some jute to keep from running over it with the mower. My cat kept trying to use it for a jungle.

When are you thinking about sending the little ankle biter over? Runt is sorely needed. Miss Cuckoo has finally started laying!

Quote:
That is Datura

I love them. You can cut the seed pods off before they open up to help cut down on wide distribution. I also cut the pods off, broke them open and threw them in a bare ugly spot. Now its full of plants, I just pluck them as they grow to thin out. They are very pretty.

Alot of plants/weeds are considered invasive to some. I have a patch of Soap Wort that I love. It attracts lots of butterflies and the pink/white flowers are pretty. Usually this plant grows along streams, creeks, etc and is considered a weed to some.

The Datura that you find at the nursery, the "Ballerina" Series, aren't invasive, although they do make tons of seeds. The wild ones tend to have some super prickly-stickery seed pods, but the cultivated variety (Datura metel) has smooth seed pods. I cut the off too, because it just encourages the bush to make more flowers.

Back
Top Bottom