mosquitoes as predators

I have already moved the zapper outside, I did not like the little sparks that I saw falling ! I have a concrete floor in my shed/chicken house, but was still uncomfortable with the sparks, since my chickens were in the building too !

Thanks so much for the warning though, now everyone reading this post has been warned !

I am getting eaten by mosquitos as I type ,right now .

but i find the mosquito population is way down from last year .
I cleaned up all standing water .
and I have 57 mosquito eating chicks ,this year,,,,and 25 more chicks arriving at the end of the month ,,,,,,,,,and more in the incubator

and with the light left on all night there are not many mosqitoes left alive in the morning ..
I hope this keeps up for me ..

thomas

Quote:
Isn't it advanitx that repels mosquitos for dogs? Ask your vet which one does that, it would help your poor dog out. That would be miserable being bitten all the time.

I have cleaned up her ears and slathered vaseline on the sore spots. They will not go near vaseline. I did not realize they were biting her, or the sores would not have gotten that bad.

Advantix is useless in this area, most vets don't even carry it. They have something new that they are testing this year.

I put the zapper approximately half way between the chicken shed and her dog house, it is taking care of the mosquitoes. As I am typing she is laying flat on her side sleeping.

The zapper is working like a charm !

I think one reason I have so many mosquitoes in my yard can be blamed on the street light that previous renters had installed. I called the electric company and had it turned off. My neighbor's street light lights my yard enough for me to see what goes on after dark. I didn't think that I needed to attract any more bugs to a light that I didn't want to pay the electric bill for anyway.

Something I have noticed here is the bats are not out as much this year.

We had a REALLY wet spring this year and are overloaded with bugs good and bad. normally the bats keep the skeeters at a manageable level but it seems like most of our bats from last year are gone or did not make it through the winter.

can I buy bats I wonder...

**wonderful house for rent, tall 2 story south facing, all you can eat buffet included, whole colonies very welcome***...sigh.....if only bats could read
th.gif

Great now you'll have comfy animals.

my dogs get bit up badly later this summer with those biting houseflies .not sure of the flies name is. but they draw blood .
thomas

Last edited:
It is tore up in Georgia, we have bats living in the eaves, and they can't make a dent in the population of mosquitoes. I would think between chickens and bats we wouldn't have any!!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom