Most critical period?

topeka

Songster
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Northeast Missouri
Hello Group,

I am on day 6 of my first hatch. I have 9 out of 10 growing embryos for sure at this time. Is there a "most critical period" during the 21 days?

Probably 'Lockdown,' the last 3 days of incubation. The humidity and temp must be spot on because otherwise, they will either dry out and not hatch, or drown in their own egg. Neither of which are very pleasant, so I'd say as a final answer: day 19-21

Actually chicks near hatching handle temp changes much better. Humidity is very important but they will handle drops in temp better than earlier. Before the last few days though they will handle wide ranges of humidity so it somewhat evens out. You have a pretty equal chance of killing them all 3 weeks.
tongue.png
When embryos are first forming they are very sensitive to rough handling. Blood vessels can get broken easily but that's not an issue so long as you aren't dropping them, shaking, spinning, etc...

I agree. I hatched a chick today that I didn't even know was coming. The egg got rolled this morning when I turned the others and the humidity has been low because I didn't know. Yesterday I actually changed the incubator top to my other one because I didn't like how the temperature wouldn't stay stable and the temp went down to 94 during the switch. Chick still hatched today, happy and healthy. I think the worse thing is the incubator not getting enough air flow.

I find the first 3 days most critical. This is when the initial vein network initiates development and determines if the embryo will be viable to sustain incubation.

Back
Top Bottom