1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Most critical period?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by topeka, Dec 25, 2009.

1. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Hello Group,

I am on day 6 of my first hatch. I have 9 out of 10 growing embryos for sure at this time. Is there a "most critical period" during the 21 days?

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Probably 'Lockdown,' the last 3 days of incubation. The humidity and temp must be spot on because otherwise, they will either dry out and not hatch, or drown in their own egg. Neither of which are very pleasant, so I'd say as a final answer: day 19-21

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Actually chicks near hatching handle temp changes much better. Humidity is very important but they will handle drops in temp better than earlier. Before the last few days though they will handle wide ranges of humidity so it somewhat evens out. You have a pretty equal chance of killing them all 3 weeks. [​IMG] When embryos are first forming they are very sensitive to rough handling. Blood vessels can get broken easily but that's not an issue so long as you aren't dropping them, shaking, spinning, etc...

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I agree. I hatched a chick today that I didn't even know was coming. The egg got rolled this morning when I turned the others and the humidity has been low because I didn't know. Yesterday I actually changed the incubator top to my other one because I didn't like how the temperature wouldn't stay stable and the temp went down to 94 during the switch. Chick still hatched today, happy and healthy. I think the worse thing is the incubator not getting enough air flow.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    interesting, now I know more. I wondered about this!

6. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Quote:What are your observations, having just gone through your hatch?

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I find the first 3 days most critical. This is when the initial vein network initiates development and determines if the embryo will be viable to sustain incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by