Most efficient feeder ?

Sam3 Abq

Songster
9 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
I've seen a lot of corp. feeders as well as diy feeders and sorry to say no closer to deciding on how to go about this .
What is the most efficient feeder out there to 1. minimize waste and 2. allow for 1 wk. or more time between filling with feed 3. can't cost an arm and two legs either ? My 1st flock plan is to have 7 hens.

thanks in advance for responses.

Last edited:
You'll get a lot of different responses depending on a person's situation. Personally, I LOVE my gutter feeder. There are pictures and a detailed description of it on my coop page (see the link under my name in the left hand panel). It was cheap and easy to install, takes up very little room, is deep enough they don't bill out the feed, and is super easy to fill from the feed room side of my coop. I think its been about a year since I installed it, so I've now gone through all four seasons with it and still wouldn't change it for anything else (and I've tried them all at one time or another).

I like the PVC pipe feeders we made. I'd avoid the version with a Y piece at the bottom for feed access ... I've read stories of birds getting stuck upside down in the Y from trying to get at the last of the feed. Ours are L shaped.

This 5 gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows you could use 3 elbows but I made mine with two. Absolutely no wasted food and it holds about a month's worth of food for me, this also keeps the food poop free and clean.

This 5 gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows you could use 3 elbows but I made mine with two. Absolutely no wasted food and it holds about a month's worth of food for me, this also keeps the food poop free and clean.
Any video links on making this (by you) ? I think I've seen some versions of this - thanks.

I found it on YouTube but all you need to do is make sure the elbow is 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the bucket, you will need to cut the elbow so it's even or a little lower than the hole that sticks out. YouTube would probably be your best bet I think I looked up chicken feeders and a bunch came up.

Sam3, do as Jetdog and Jimmywalt speak!! These are the best feeders out there for less than $10 each. If you have buckets laying around you can do it for less than $5. The rectangular buckets with hinged lids that cat litter and many other things come in work great as well, Jimmy used one of these buckets for a waterer.

Yes........ that's a great idea LoneOak............. Use the rectangular buckets with hinged lids! It couldn't get any easier than that to refill!!!!

But if you can't find a bucket like that use any bucket and lid that you can find. For me the round 5 gallon is just right. It holds 25 lbs of food and is easy enough for me to move into my coop (I have a really small access door in the side I need to climb in).

Back
Top Bottom