Most evil chicken, turkey, goose and Guinea fowl contest..

Who in your opinion has the worst behaved or most evil bird?

• Doodooobird545 with Brutus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joejunkyfarmer with Sally Loo

• Wendyfarm with Goosey goose..

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We must be approaching spring here, and breeding season. The Guineas are bigger bellybuttons that normal. They are chasing the roosters and the guineas are chasing each other. I assume it is the females doing all the bad behavior, Males just do not have bad behavior in their souls.

They better get it out of their systems fast. Before Wednesday they will be in Guinea Gulag for 4-5 months, or until I have enough keets to make me happy. I will be trying to sell some and I need about 30-40 of my own to feed the owls and 18 wheelers over the fall and winter. I do not have very high hatch rate on these things. But I will get enough. I have one egg I think is a guinea egg so it is going in the incubator in the next couple days. I have almost 100 other eggs ready to go in.

I am going to have 4 turkey hens and one turkey in with the guineas this year. Last year I had 2 toms and 8 hens that was too much for me. If I raise enough to adult hood I might even eat me a few guineas.

Not the whole family, only DD1
wink.png
If I had a mixed flock of guineas it would be easy to tell their eggs from chicken eggs (right?) and we just wouldn't feed those to DD1. But ... is there a "minimum # of females per male" like with chickens so the hens don't get beat up from too much "amorous activity" from the males? And are there issues between the males if you have multiple males AND females like with chickens?

My chickens lay any time of day, usually a given hen will lay later on subsequent days until the the last one is laid close to roost time, then they take a day off and lay early the next day. Rinse and repeat
smile.png
. Occasionally I find an "overnight from the roost" egg. And then there are the ones that only lay a day or two in a row and take a day off. No particular time the next egg will be laid. Do guineas typically lay all before 2 PM? I THINK my predator problem is mostly evening (at least that is was happened with the fox last year and the year before at the end of April). The girls love to be out early in the morning, then spend midday under the deck, in the barn etc unless it isn't sunny.

I guess I should be hunting up a guinea fowl thread instead of conversing on Ralphie's "evil bird stories" thread, I'm sure there are some on BYC
wink.png

Last edited:
Not the whole family, only DD1
wink.png
If I had a mixed flock of guineas it would be easy to tell their eggs from chicken eggs (right?) and we just wouldn't feed those to DD1. But ... is there a "minimum # of females per male" like with chickens so the hens don't get beat up from too much "amorous activity" from the males? And are there issues between the males if you have multiple males AND females like with chickens?

My chickens lay any time of day, usually a given hen will lay later on subsequent days until the the last one is laid close to roost time, then they take a day off and lay early the next day. Rinse and repeat
smile.png
. Occasionally I find an "overnight from the roost" egg. And then there are the ones that only lay a day or two in a row and take a day off. No particular time the next egg will be laid. Do guineas typically lay all before 2 PM? I THINK my predator problem is mostly evening (at least that is was happened with the fox last year and the year before at the end of April). The girls love to be out early in the morning, then spend midday under the deck, in the barn etc unless it isn't sunny.

I guess I should be hunting up a guinea fowl thread instead of conversing on Ralphie's "evil bird stories" thread, I'm sure there are some on BYC
wink.png

Oh Ok.... ratio males to females should be around 50-50 because they naturally pair off. Thats why bachelor flocks are pretty common.

Guinea eggs are a little larger than a bantam egg and MORE pointy on one end.... easy to spot.

deb

We must be approaching spring here, and breeding season. The Guineas are bigger bellybuttons that normal. They are chasing the roosters and the guineas are chasing each other. I assume it is the females doing all the bad behavior, Males just do not have bad behavior in their souls.

They better get it out of their systems fast. Before Wednesday they will be in Guinea Gulag for 4-5 months, or until I have enough keets to make me happy. I will be trying to sell some and I need about 30-40 of my own to feed the owls and 18 wheelers over the fall and winter. I do not have very high hatch rate on these things. But I will get enough. I have one egg I think is a guinea egg so it is going in the incubator in the next couple days. I have almost 100 other eggs ready to go in.

I am going to have 4 turkey hens and one turkey in with the guineas this year. Last year I had 2 toms and 8 hens that was too much for me. If I raise enough to adult hood I might even eat me a few guineas.

spring has sprung... Its the boys that do the chasiing to show off for the girls.

deb

Actually I guineas are suppose to "mate" for the season. BUT they are like humans and kind of loose in their idea of monogamy
lau.gif

A female might sneak off with another male other than her and a male might sneak off with a different female other that his mate.

If you have an odd number of females you do not seem to have a spinster, her eggs all seem fertile. The best way to explain it is remember Guineas have no rules or laws they will not break.

They should be fed Game bird feed, I use game bird breeder this time of year, once I get them away from the chickens. You really need a half dozen or so, they are true flock birds...

Also do not get older Guineas get young keets. every time I have gotten older birds they have run away from home, no matter how long I keep them locked in their coop.

I used to have a big flock of silkies, Polish, and silkie Polish mixes. Now the rooster at the top of the pecking order was a gray silkie named Chanticlair (my big sister named him) and he was a little devil. If you called out "ChickCHICK!" He would come running at you with the look on his face that seemed to say "I'm about to kill you." And you had to run until he stopped, then once he did stop he would go back to the flock and start crowing. One time my stepdad was attacked by him! Lol!! But him being a silkie it was more like a ball of fluff chasing you so it was hard not to laugh.:lol:

I used to have a big flock of silkies, Polish, and silkie Polish mixes. Now the rooster at the top of the pecking order was a gray silkie named Chanticlair (my big sister named him) and he was a little devil. If you called out "ChickCHICK!" He would come running at you with the look on his face that seemed to say "I'm about to kill you." And you had to run until he stopped, then once he did stop he would go back to the flock and start crowing. One time my stepdad was attacked by him! Lol!! But him being a silkie it was more like a ball of fluff chasing you so it was hard not to laugh.
lol.png

Oh funny... That sounds like people that run from the turkeys. if you run they chase because in their little brains you must be running away from something and it must be behind them too, so they run as long as you run. The only way to get a turkey to stop chasing you is stop and stand still, then they do. Thinking it is safe now..

Back
Top Bottom