Most expensive eggs I've ever seen!

$7 bucks is just nuts. I doubt the vendor fees and traffic can equate to that much per dozen. It's the premium paid because locally grown is the new hip thing. You can't read a magazine these day without reading about how to be green or where to buy your food. It's become a fashionable thing and the prices reflect that. Normally I'd think all this coverage for environmental issues would be great but It's so saturated advertising that it's going to become a fad, being green will be so last year. Which is sad really because we need to think more about changing our habits. I wish it hadn't become such a hip marketing tool.

Dh must be figuring things wrong because he figures it costs us over $3 to just produce eggs. That isn't including the cost of cartons.

We sell ours for $4 and figure we about break even. I don't understand how people sell them for $1.50 a dozen. Do they feed them?

Mine are well fed! You can only get what the customers will pay. At $1.50/dozen I'm priced above the stores already. Plus feed costs vary across the country. Please don't hint that my girls are not well fed!

I lose money on my eggs. However, I am not in it for the money. The girls help feed themselves and the rescues I get in. I make up the rest.

You can only charge what you can get for them. I look at it as I am spreading the yummy home grown eggs word which may assimilate others into getting on the bandwagon of keeping a few hens for eggs of their own.
smile.png

A couple of months back there was a big article in the Sacramento Bee business section about free-range and pastured chickens vs. factory eggs and a woman from Davis was quoted as saying that she was "happy to be able to buy the free-range, pasture eggs at $7/doz" I couldn't believe the price, but there it was. I guess there's one born every minute
tongue.png

Liz

It amazes me that you have people that will pay $7 per dozen, while my coworkers eyes glaze over when I explain to them the difference between my eggs and the ones that they get from sams club for .99 a dozen.

ep.gif
$7 yikes. The most I've seen them for is $5.50. I live in Lake Oswego and I suppose I could charge that much but I'm too chicken to ask that much money. Of course I'm not counting on egg sales for my livelihood either.

the Portland food scene is one of the hippest in the country, and pastured eggs are the demand.so part of it is the trend, and Park Blocks is on the list of the 5 best markets in the US. Over 15000 people shop there every Sat.... all the food is high priced compared to my market 40 miles away.

I fiqure my food costs at 1.50-2$ doz, I don't see how anyone can sell below 3$ for pastured eggs. Competing with stores on egg price is like trying to out cheapen Walmart.... can't be done.

history fact... in SF during the gold rush and during the alaskan gold rush eggs went for 1$ gold dust an egg........may we all be so lucky.....

Back
Top Bottom