Most Humane Method to Cull

Thanks.
sad.png

Don't know if this has ever been posted before, but at this link is a table of "acceptable agents and methods of euthanasia by species" in the Merck Veterinary Manual: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/servlet/CVMHighLight?file=htm/bc/tcpp03.htm&word=euthanasia,chicken

Birds
(Acceptable) Barbiturates, inhalant anesthetics, CO2, CO, gunshot (free-ranging only)
(Conditionally acceptable) N2, argon, cervical dislocation, decapitation, thoracic compression (small, free-ranging only)

For us non-Vets...inhalant anesthetics would be automotive starter fluid (this is ether, one of medicine's earliest inhaled anesthetics), CO is carbon monoxide - automobile exhaust. For what it's worth, most farmers choose decapitation or cervical dislocation (snapping the neck to sever the spinal cord). Both are quick and painless ways to euthanize a chicken and suggested as "conditionally acceptable." I don't see any reference to cutting the throat and letting an animal bleed out. This is often done for slaughter in a variety of animals, but it is done for reasons other than providing a quick/humane death. It is done more for converting the carcass into meat for the table.

Never easy to read about or discuss these things, but....

The broomstick method is what I used to help my poor Twiggy out of her misery. You turn the bird upside down, and take any broom or garden implement with a long handle, and lay it across the neck, putting one foot on the "stick" part on either side of the bird's neck. You continue to hold their legs, and pull straight upwards rather quickly, and continuously until they are done flapping and you have felt the popping of cervical dislocation taking place. There wasn't a lot of flapping with Twiggy, she was pretty weak by then. But, there was some. It's not a pleasant thing to have to do, but just keep telling yourself that it is the kindest thing you can do for your bird. I tried using a sock over her head, putting it on while I was holding her, and then taking it off again to let her see the backyard for one last time. After I had done this, I assumed that she wouldn't be afraid of having the sock on her head anymore, and then I did what I had to while telling her how sorry I was, and that I hoped she would be at peace. I hope this helps.
hugs.gif

Dora'smom :

The broomstick method is what I used to help my poor Twiggy out of her misery. You turn the bird upside down, and take any broom or garden implement with a long handle, and lay it across the neck, putting one foot on the "stick" part on either side of the bird's neck. You continue to hold their legs, and pull straight upwards rather quickly, and continuously until they are done flapping and you have felt the popping of cervical dislocation taking place. There wasn't a lot of flapping with Twiggy, she was pretty weak by then. But, there was some. It's not a pleasant thing to have to do, but just keep telling yourself that it is the kindest thing you can do for your bird. I tried using a sock over her head, putting it on while I was holding her, and then taking it off again to let her see the backyard for one last time. After I had done this, I assumed that she wouldn't be afraid of having the sock on her head anymore, and then I did what I had to while telling her how sorry I was, and that I hoped she would be at peace. I hope this helps.
hugs.gif

I think this is one of the most humane and full proof methods available. A machete works well too, but it's easy to miss when your not used to it and already upset so I'd go with the broomstick. It seems to me that so often what is hardest on us is kindest to the animals in our care.
hugs.gif
and best of luck with whatever you decide. Also, though I can tell you're really struggling with this decision I admire you so much for being willing to make it and not letting her suffer past the point where you have hope that she'll recover.​

Quote:
We needed to dispatch our first sick hen a few months ago. It did not go as quickly as we hoped.

We have decided that we would use a decapitation followed by a rapid skull crushing if/when we need to dispatch again. Out biggest concern is quick brain death.

I do wish you well and would like to let you know that i respect the care and concern you are showing for your hen. Stopping her suffering, although difficult, is the right thing to do.
hugs.gif

I dread the day when I will have to face this ugly chore. Another website, thecitychicken.com, gives a thorough description of an easy method for "dispaching" your pet. It sounds like the easiest, safest method so far, well worth looking up. Good luck dear.

First I'd like to thank everyone for your kind words and explaining the best way to cull.

This morning my hen was looking worse. She was egg bound and I knew she would not get better. I didn't think any of the knives I have would be sharp enough to cut through her feathers and sever a vein or artery in her neck. The hanging upside down method was not going to work for me.

God help me but I put a (I did the following very quickly) plastic bag over hear head. Wrapped her body in a towel, laid her on a rock and then hit her on the head. I held her down while she flopped a bit and then it was over. I buried her beneath 2 small hickory trees.

I'm sure her brain was dead as soon as I hit her but why do they have to move around so much? If I had hit a person like that they would have been knocked out cold and wouldn't move. At least that's what they show on TV.

Thank you again everyone

when we have to cull or butcher my husband uses a sharp ax, then quickly put them upside down in a bucket while holding that way blood doesn't go everywhere and it's over with quickly works the best for us. No matter what you decide it's always hard on us.

I'm sorry you had to do that...but it sounds like you did fine. Instant brain death is about as good as you can get, death wise. Decapitation, while it's deadly, isn't even as instant as severe brain trauma...

And, people don't necessarily die like they do on TV... involuntary muscle spasms from nerves firing due to the lack of oxygen affect just about every living creature. Smaller ones with extremely high metabolism just seem to do it a little more violently sometimes... but it's by no means absent in larger animals/humans...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom